Russia continues to attack Ukraine amid sanctions from the west
Monday, February 28, 2022
On Sunday, a suspected Russian missile strike was carried out on a civilian oil terminal located in , near Kyiv, Ukraine. The incident was reported by Ukrainian Member of Parliament Anna Purtova. She described this deadly incident as an "environmental catastrophe". The oil facility was located just 39 kilometers (24 mi) from Kyiv.
Apart from this, Russian troops were spotted in different locations in and around the city of Kharkiv. A gas pipeline was also blown up by Russian troops in Kharkiv yesterday before daybreak. Theadvised citizens not to go outside and stated "the Russian enemy's light vehicles have broken into Kharkiv, including the city centre".
On Saturday, Russian troops conducted a missile strike on a high-rise residential building in Kyiv which injured at least 6 people.
Today, Ukraine has accepted the proposal for talks with the Russian Federation on the Belarusian border. The Ukrainian Presidential Office has confirmed the Alexander Lukashenko had called Zelensky earlier Sunday.
The United States and its allies have initiated the transfer of arms and weapons to support Ukraine and imposed numerous sanctions to affect Russia financially. On Saturday, it was announced several Russian banks would be removed from the , resulting in its disconnection from the international financial system. It was also decided to impose 'restrictive measures' on the to prevent it from undermining the impact of the sanctions from the West.
The leaders of the European Commission and the United States said in a joint statement they "will hold Russia to account and collectively ensure that this war is a strategic failure for Putin".
The Kremlin said Russian troops were advancing "in all directions" and Putin thanked the who were carrying out the operation in Ukraine. Sources also reveal Putin directed his to stay on high alert, citing “aggressive statements” by NATO and tough financial sanctions from the West and its allies. The Ukrainian presidential advisor, Mykhaylo Podolyak, said over 3,500 Russian troops were killed in action or wounded. Russia has not yet released any casualty figures.
- "Russian forces approach Ukraine's capital Kyiv" — Wikinews, February 26, 2022
- "Russia launches full-scale invasion against Ukraine" — Wikinews, February 24, 2022
- "Signs of de-escalation as Russia claims to pull back some troops" — Wikinews, February 16, 2022
- "US warns its citizens to leave Ukraine as Russia could invade 'anytime'" — Wikinews, February 12, 2022
- Press Release: "Joint Statement on Further Restrictive Economic Measures" — , February 26, 2022
- "Russian missile strikes a Ukrainian civilian oil depot in Kyiv: Official" — , February 27, 2022
- Maria Tsvetkova and Aleksandar Vasovic. "Ukrainian oil, gas facilities burn as West prepares new sanctions" — , February 27, 2022
- "6 civilians injured in Russian strike on Kyiv apartment block" — , February 26, 2022
- Tim Lister and Matthew Chance. "Ukraine-Russia talks will happen Monday, Ukrainian official says" — , February 27, 2022
- Yuras Karmanau, Jim Heintz, Vladimir Isachenkov and Dasha Litvinova. "Putin puts nuclear forces on high alert, escalating tensions" — , February 28, 2022