Russian forces approach Ukraine's capital Kyiv
Saturday, February 26, 2022
Yesterday, Ukraine's capital Kyiv with missiles resulting in blasts damaging residential areas. Russia continued its three-pronged invasion of Ukraine and has already reached the of Kyiv. For the second day, sirens sounded over Kyiv and residents took shelter in underground metro stations.attacked
The Moscow claimed, it had captured and taken over control of , also known as Hostomel Airport, located in the north of Kyiv, using 200 helicopters and paratroopers. Hostomel could be a major staging point for an attack on Kyiv., informed citizens, "saboteurs" had arrived and were fighting in the city's outskirts.
Therequested its citizens to inform them of Russian troop movements and also suggested to "make Molotov cocktails to neutralise the enemy".
Russian forces also advanced intoand captured it. The Ukrainian presidential advisor Mykhaylo Podolyak said, Chernobyl was captured by Russian forces after a "fierce battle".
At the 8979th meeting of the United Nations Security Council, Russia vetoed a draft resolution which aimed at ending the Ukraine crisis. The resolution had garnered support from 11 of the 15 members and had 3 abstentions.
- "Russia launches full-scale invasion against Ukraine" — Wikinews, February 24, 2022
- "Signs of de-escalation as Russia claims to pull back some troops" — Wikinews, February 16, 2022
- "US warns its citizens to leave Ukraine as Russia could invade 'anytime'" — Wikinews, February 12, 2022
- Press Release: "Security Council Fails to Adopt Draft Resolution on Ending Ukraine Crisis, as Russian Federation Wields Veto" — , February 25, 2022
- Maria Tsvetkova, Reuters. "Russian forces close in on Kyiv" — , February 25, 2022
- "Ukraine conflict: Kyiv braces for Russian assault" — , February 25, 2022