Russia launches full-scale invasion against Ukraine
Thursday, February 24, 2022
On state television, Russian President Vladimir Putin described this as the beginning of a "special military operation" in Ukraine with the aim of "the demilitarization and de-nazification of Ukraine" at 06:00 in Moscow, 03:00 UTC. After this announcement, President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky imposed martial law nationwide.
Explosions of Russian missiles were heard in cities Kyiv, Kharkiv, Donetsk, and in the with the aim of destroying Ukrainian military command centres. Gunfire was also heard near , Kyiv's main airport, and sirens were heard throughout the city.
Putin said that Russia had been left with no choice but to defend itself against what he described were threats from Ukraine after United States as Russian propaganda.sent a plea to Moscow to help stop alleged Ukrainian aggression. The claim was dismissed by the
On Monday, Russia passed a bill recognizing the self-proclaimedand in eastern Ukraine as independent states, followed by agreements of friendship, cooperation, and assistance with the republics.
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has promised the West will respond "decisively" and that Putin had "chosen a path of bloodshed and destruction". The British Defence Secretary and Foreign Secretary have also condemned the invasion, Truss adding they will "use every lever at our disposal to stop [Putin] in his tracks" and "nothing is off the table".
US President Joe Biden condemned the attack as "unprovoked and unjustified", adding that he will be meeting with G7 leaders today, and asserting the US and allies "will be imposing severe sanctions on Russia".
President of the European Commission also condemned the attack as "unjustified" and added that the would be held accountable.
Spokesperson for the Chinese said "all parties should work for peace instead of escalating the tension or hyping up the possibility of war", criticizing "those parties who were busy condemning others" for a lack of a supposed reaction.
- "Signs of de-escalation as Russia claims to pull back some troops" — Wikinews, February 16, 2022
- "US warns its citizens to leave Ukraine as Russia could invade 'anytime'" — Wikinews, February 12, 2022
- "Putin calls US troops in Poland 'a threat'" — Wikinews, January 13, 2017
- "Ukrainian troops on Crimean border on high alert after rising tension with Russia" — Wikinews, August 14, 2016
- "Путин подписал указы о признании ЛНР и ДНР" — , February 22, 2022 ()
- Sudeep Reddy. "Russia attacks Ukraine" — , February 24, 2022
- Andrew Osborn & Natalia Zinets. "Russian forces invade Ukraine with strikes on major cities" — , February 24, 2022
- Graeme Demianyk. "Boris Johnson Condemns Russia's 'Unprovoked Attack' On Ukraine" — , February 24, 2022
- Garreth MacNamee. "'We will hold the Kremlin accountable': International anger as Russia attacks Ukraine" — , February 24, 2022
- Raf Casert & Foster Klug. "World expresses raw outrage, ponders Russia sanctions" — , February 24, 2022