Wikinews attends US debut of film The People's Joker
Tuesday, July 25, 2023
On July 15, Wikinews attended the US general debut, and second general showing, of — an unauthorized film adaptation of the comic book villain for what described as a coming-of-age comedy — in Los Angeles' , part of the LGBT film festival , with filmmakers and Bri LeRose present.
This was director Drew's first feature film, but she previously edited and otherwise been employed on a variety of television productions.
Drew described The People's Joker as "autobiographical" for her, as the main character, whom she played, aspires to break into comedy and experiences. She undergoes a , like Drew, becoming known as Joker the Harlequin, an comic and villain.
Cowriters Drew and LeRose took to the stage to answer questions from a moderator and the audience. Of, both screenwriters expressed their onetime affection for the program, yet criticized it, with Drew calling it "part of the ". On working with actor and puppeteer , Drew called him a " " who offered advice on this production.
The remaining cast declined to appear on stage in solidarity with an.
Drew made final edits to The People's Joker minutes before boarding a plane for its debut at the 2022(TIFF). After that showing, she received a letter from , which did not make demands, but said "copyright law prohibits appropriating the character and universe as the vehicle for" her autobiographical purposes. The film had several subsequent private screenings.
Drew said her team was planning a distribution scheme for The People's Joker.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, LeRose commissioned Drew for $12 to re-cut the film into a comedy. The duo eventually collaborated on a version including all prior portrayals of on film. This led to a script telling a fictionalized version of Drew's life, which became The People's Joker.
Outfest ran from July 13 to Sunday.
- Lina Lecaro. "Outfest Los Angeles: More to Fight For on Film" — , July 13, 2023
- "EP. 820 — Limo Karaoke" — , July 9, 2023 (Audio)
- William Hughes. "Vera Drew's The People's Joker is finally getting a U.S. premiere" — , July 6, 2023
- Raven Brunner. "I Attended A Secret Screening of 'The People’s Joker,' The Movie Warner Bros. Doesn't Want You To See" — , January 13, 2023
- Laura Bradley. "Inside 'The People's Joker': The Unauthorized Batman Movie Warner Bros. Doesn't Want You to See" — , September 14, 2022
- Katie Rife. "The People's Joker, a hilarious trans riff on DC characters, shut down over 'rights issues'" — , September 14, 2022