DO NOT put your request on a wiki or broadcast it on IRC.
| DO NOT put your request on a wiki or broadcast it on IRC.
Oversight requests should be made to the stewards by email or on IRC.
Oversight or suppression refers to hiding revisions, edit summaries, usernames, or log entries from the public. This access is available to stewards and the staff global user group. Suppressed data can only be viewed and restored by users in these groups, with the exception of Ombuds who may view suppressed data (but not restore it). English Wikinews does not have users with Oversight permission.
This feature is approved for use in four cases:
- Removal of non-public personal information such as phone numbers, home addresses, workplaces or identities of pseudonymous or anonymous individuals who have not made their identity public, or of public individuals who have not made that personal information public.
- Removal of potentially libelous information either:
- on the advice of Wikimedia Foundation counsel or
- when the case is clear, and there is no editorial reason to keep the revision.
- Removal of copyright violations on the advice of Wikimedia Foundation counsel.
- Hiding of blatant attack names on automated lists and logs, where this does not disrupt edit histories. A blatant attack is one obviously intended to denigrate, threaten, libel, insult, or harass someone.
Requests for oversight
DO NOT put your request on the wiki or broadcast it in public. All requests should be made privately.
- Contact stewards in the IRC channel #wikimedia-stewards . Ask for a steward in the channel, and then make your request in a private message to that steward. Do not broadcast the request in the public channel. In emergencies, type
!stewardin the channel to get the attention of stewards.
- Send an email to stewards-oversight wikimedia.org ● com (you can use the direct wiki interface).