It Is Me Here, welcome to Wikinews! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
Our key policies - if you read anything, read these!
- Wikinews:Neutral point of view - tell every side to a story in a fair and balanced way
- Wikinews:Cite sources - everything in a Wikinews article must be sourced
Here a few pointers to help you get to know Wikinews:
- Wikinews:Introduction - overview of the site
- Wikinews:Writing an article - how to write and publish a complete article
- Wikinews:Content guide - what's suitable for Wikinews
- Wikinews:Style guide - how articles should look before publishing
- Wikinews:Contents - the contents page.
There are always things to do on Wikinews:
- Existing articles need expanding and checking for spelling and mistakes
- The front page lead articles often need updating
- Developing stories need finishing and publishing
- Discussions need your input
- Audio Wikinews could always use more contributors
- And of course, stories need writing!
By the way, you can sign your name on Talk pages using four tildes (~~~~), which produces your name and the current date. If you have any questions, you can ask them at the water cooler or to anyone on the Welcommittee, or ask me on my Talk page. Again, welcome! --Anonymous101 (talk · contribs) 17:21, 10 March 2008 (UTC)
I reverted your edit to the lead, and I'll cite my edit summary: ("housemates" is a British/Australian term. In the US, they are called "HouseGuests," and yes, it is capitalized that way.) TheCustomOfLife - (talk) 19:29, 26 March 2008 (UTC)
PS:You might want to look at this diff for tips on how to make your articles even better.
- Thanks! Where can I find pictures, though? Does Wikinews have an image search or similar? It Is Me Here - (talk) 09:22, 27 March 2008 (UTC)
- In the majority of cases, images are taken from Wikimedia Commons. That has a reasonable search facility. In cases where you are unable to find something useful there you can widen your search and look for appropriately licensed images on flickr. Images marked as non-commercial or no derivatives, regrettably, cannot be used.
- In addition to Commons where only freely licensed images may be stored, Wikinews has local upload for fair use images. The full policy on this can be found at WN:EDP. If you are struggling to work out if you can use a particular image under these rules I would recommend contacting Adambro on his talk page. As he is also a Commons administrator he knows quite a bit more about some of the intricacies of copyright law and fair use. --Brian McNeil / talk 09:31, 27 March 2008 (UTC)