Sydney experiences hottest March day in 35 years
Thursday, March 22, 2018
On this Sunday, Australia experienced its hottest March day in 35 years. Temperatures reached 40.5°C at . This followed the two hottest March months in 1983 and 1965 whose maximum temperatures were 41.2°C and 41.1°C respectively, according to post-1940 climate data provided by (BOM). The hot temperatures were caused by north-westerly winds which brought heat from the inside of the continent.,
At the beaches any sea breeze was countered by north-westerly winds, and beach-side areas experienced 39°C. BOM reported NQ and NNW winds 20km/h to 40km/h with 40-60km/h gusts.
BOM recorded maximum temperature of 40.5°C at Sydney Airport (AP) weather station,reported. Wikinews obtained data from BOM that contained maximums for every 10 minutes that confirmed the maximum between 15:30 and 15:40 on the day. Wikinews also observed the temperature of 40.7C via a weather station at a residential property at 17:50 Sunday afternoon.
The present record occurred on March 18, more than a week later than the 1965 and 1983 records that had happened on the March 6 and March 9 respectively, according to the climate data published online at the BOM website.
On the hot Sunday, an out-of-control bushfire took place in Tarraganda andnear , southeast . The bushfire damaged "dozens" of homes and crossed the Bega river on Sunday afternoon, reported. New South Wales Rescue Fire Service issued an emergency warning to residents in Tathra, advising people to seek shelter.
NSW Fire Rescue Service declared total fire bans and fire weather warnings in 11 areas of the state: Greater Sydney, Greater Hunter, Illawarra/Shoalhaven, Far South Coast, Monaro Alpine, Southern Ranges, Central Ranges, North Western, Lower Central W Plains, Sthn Slopes and the Eastern Riverina.
- Ben Domensino. "A weekend of weather to remember" — , March 19, 2018
- "Highest Temperature - 066037 - Bureau of Meteorology" — , March 19, 2018
- "Sydney Ap daily temperature and rain summaries" — , March 19, 2018
- Anne Davies. "Eastern Australia bushfires: dozens of homes lost in Bega blaze and another 10 in Victoria" — , March 18, 2018
- "Hottest autumn day in 78 years hits Sydney as temperatures hit 40C" — , March 18, 2018
- "Sydney a sweltering tinderbox: 35C by midday, and rising" — , March 18, 2018