Russia agrees to construct Turkish nuclear reactor
Thursday, May 13, 2010
The plant will be built on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea, and construction will commence as soon as the deal is approved by both countries; the building process is expected to take around seven years. The reactor will also be owned by Russia, which will hold "no less than a controlling stake," according to , who is the head of , a Russian nuclear energy corporation.
The reactor to be built is the second proposed power plant in the same location; a separate proposal for a four-reactor complex built by a Russian-led consortium was rejected by a Turkish court last year. Russia has attempted to build a nuclear power plant in Turkey, and the contract signed Wednesday "really looks rather impressive," according to Dmitry Medvedev.
The contract for the reactor was one of 20 signed by the two countries today, expected to result in around US$25 billion of Russian investment in Turkey. Other major contracts signed include projects to transport Russian oil and natural gas through Turkey to ports on the Mediterranean Sea. One such project is a major pipeline between the Turkish ports of Black Sea and on the Mediterranean Sea, built in conjunction with an oil refinery in Ceyhan.on the
In a press conference, Russian President Medvedev said that the agreements signal "a new page in our cooperation...Our talks today showed that Turkey and Russia are strategic partners not only in words but in deeds." Abdullah Gul said that the two countries "share a determination to increase the trade volume from a current US$38 billion to US$100 billion in five years."
- Anna Smolchenko. "Russia seals deal for Turkey's first nuclear power plant" — , May 12, 2010
- "Russia to build Turkey's first nuclear plant" — , May 12, 2010
- Anatoly Medetsky. "Medvedev Lands $20Bln Nuclear Deal in Turkey" — , May 13, 2010
- "Russia, Turkey sign $20bn nuclear power plant deal" — , May 13, 2010
- Marc Champion. "Russia, Turkey Pair Up in Trade Deals" — , May 13, 2010
- Delphine Strauss. "Russia to build Turkey’s nuclear plant" — , May 13, 2010
- Herb Keinon. "Moscow to build nuke plant in Turkey" — , May 13, 2010
- Sebnem Arsu. "Turkey’s Pact With Russia Will Give It Nuclear Plant" — , May 12, 2010
- Scott Peterson. "Russia deal puts Turkey on path to become nuclear energy nation" — , May 12, 2010
- Dorian Jones. "Russia Urges Nations to Take Active Role in Middle East" — , May 12, 2010