NASCAR: Johnson beats Bowyer for victory in Aarons' 499
Monday, April 18, 2011
Johnson was 0.002 seconds ahead ofat the conclusion of the race; this tied with the record for the closest finish in series history which occured at in 2003. Pole position winner, finished third, ahead of and in fourth and fifth. took sixth position ahead of in seventh. , , and rounded out the top ten finishers in the race.
Johnson said: "We were just the lucky guy at the end with a good run. We had some big mo on our side, and off we went." Johnson continued, "I can't thank Junior enough. He made the decision that my car was faster leading. And the way these things are finishing up, the lead car's going to get the win. In some respects, he was more worried about the team having a good performance than anything."
Following the race, Edwards remainsleader with 295 points. Five points behind, Johnson is second with 290. In third, Earnhardis fourteen points behind, but 22 ahead of Harvick. and are fifth and sixth respectively with 267 and 257 points. , , , and Bowyer round out the top-ten positions for the Drivers' Champoinship.
The 2011 season continues on April 30 atfor the 2011 . The race will be televised in the U.S. on the at 7:30 p.m. EDT.
- Associated Press. "Jimmie Johnson wins at 'Dega" — , April 17, 2011
- "NASCAR Race Trax - Sprint Cup Race Day - Aarons' 499" — , April 17, 2011
- Sporting News Wire Service. "Johnson nips Bowyer at the line, wins at Talladega" — , April 17, 2011
- "Johnson edges Bowyer by a whisker to win Talladega" — , April 17, 2011
- "2011 Driver Standings: Aarons' 499" — , April 17, 2011
- "Schedule" — , April 17, 2011