Jeff Gordon wins in eleventh NASCAR Sprint Cup race of 2014
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
On Saturday, Jeff Gordon won the NASCAR race at . Starting the race in thirteenth, Gordon claimed his 89th career win, first of the season, and third at the track. The race was the first Sprint Cup Series night race held at the track.driver
Area thunderstorms and tornado warnings delayed the planned 7:37 p.m. EST race start by 35 minutes. About halfway through the race, a second incident occurred, when some of the lights on the track's backstretch blacked out. Two major wrecks occurred during the race: with 116 laps remaining,'s car had a tire go down, and hit the turn 3 wall, with both the front and back of the car catching fire; McMurray was rescued by pit crew members. With about 80 laps remaining, , who was attempting to pass , spun out and hit , who spun into , the latter sent airborne.
dominated for the majority of the race, and had placed almost a third of the 43-car field behind a lap when he performed a on lap 42; Harvick would lead on 119 laps, the most of any driver in the race. However, he was relegated to the middle of the field after the lap 42 pit stop. By lap 236, cars began making green-flag pit stops, which led to taking the lead, but was forced to make his stop with nine laps remaining. As a result, Gordon took the lead, and defeated Harvick by .112 seconds. Gordon's teammate was third, then , and . , , , , and rounded out the top ten.
After the race, Gordon led the points standings with 394 points, followed by Kenseth with 379.with 373, Earnhardt with 368, Edwards with 367, Logano with 346, Johnson with 340, with 332, with 328, and with 327 closed out the top ten.
|Official Top-10 Race Results for the|
- "2014 5-hour Energy 400" — , May 13, 2014 (date of access)
- Joe Breeze. "Gordon goes all-in with Kansas win" — , May 12, 2014
- Jay Pennell. "GIF It Up: Jamie McMurray gets flame-broiled under the lights" — , May 11, 2014
- Jim Pedley. "Gordon's first win of the season comes at Kansas" — , May 11, 2014
- Jim Utter. "Jeff Gordon holds off late charge by Kevin Harvick to win at Kansas" — , May 11, 2014
- Nate Ryan. "NASCAR at Kansas: Start time, lineup, TV/radio schedule and more" — , May 10, 2014
- Chris Estrada. "Justin Allgaier, David Gilliland OK after hard Kansas wreck (VIDEO)" — , May 10, 2014