Jeff Gordon wins the 2014 Brickyard 400
Tuesday, July 29, 2014
On Sunday, NASCAR win in the at the .of recorded his 90th career
Starting the race in second, Gordon won his second race of theseason, and his fifth at the track, breaking a tie with teammate for the most event wins, while tying driver for the most wins at the track. The win marked his first 400 win since , and was on the twenty-year anniversary of his win; mayor declared the day "Jeff Gordon Day". Additionally, the win was the twelfth consecutive Brickyard 400 victory for , and the ninth for Hendrick Motorsports.
The race began at 1:19 PM(1719 ), with holding , his series-high fourth of the season. Harvick's lead would end after just one lap, yielding to Gordon, who led the following 20 laps. would lead for the next ten laps, with the lead later being split by , , , , and . After claiming the lead from Bowyer, Kahne would lead for 25 consecutive laps; he would end the race leading the most laps with 70.
The firstwas flown as an arranged competition caution on lap 22, allowing to become the , nicknamed the "lucky dog", and gain back a lap. On lap 69, the second caution, for stopping in turn 1, allowing to become the beneficiary; 's crash in turn 3 on lap 98 led to gaining a lap. The final caution occurred on lap 140 due to being too slow in turn 2, with being the "lucky dog".
On the final restart with 17 laps remaining, and Gordon, who struggled with restarts for seasons, passed teammate Kahne and led for the remainder of the race.finished second, 2.325 seconds behind Gordon, followed by teammates Hamlin and , with the top five being rounded out by Logano. Kahne dropped to fifth on the restart, and ran out of fuel on the last lap, finishing sixth, with the top ten closed out by Larson, Harvick, Earnhardt, Jr., and Dillon.
After the race, Hamlin had firewall plates, which protect the driver from smoke and fire, but can assist a car's aerodynamic performace if airflow is permitted, confiscated by NASCAR.
The drivers' points standings after the race featured Gordon in the lead with 717 points. Earnhardt, Jr. with 693; Keselowski, 666; Kenseth, 661; Johnson, 628; Kyle Busch, 609;, 606; , 603; Logano, 591; and Bowyer, 577, closed out the top ten. With the new format introduced for the 2014 season, Gordon, Edwards, Johnson, and Logano clinched spots in the Chase Grid, which Keselowski leads, with Johnson, Gordon, Earnhardt, Jr., Edwards, Logano, Harvick, Kyle Busch, Hamlin, , , Kenseth, Newman, Bowyer, Larson, and Dillon comprising the remainder of the current leaders for the sixteen-driver Grid.
The race was officially named the Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400 Powered by BigMachineRecords.com. Walding, who served in Iraq as a member of the, had his lower leg amputated after being shot. His name was chosen for the race as part of Crown Royal's "Your Hero Name Here" program.
The next race, the, is to be held on August 3 at , and will air on at 1:00 PM EDT.
|Official Top-10 Race Results for the|
- "2014 Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400" — , July 29, 2014 (date of access)
- "2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Schedule" — , July 29, 2014 (date of access)
- "2014 NASCAR SPRINT CUP SERIES SCHEDULE" — , July 29, 2014 (date of access)
- Jeff Gordon wins Brickyard 400" — , July 28, 2014 . "
- Nate Ryan. "Jeff Gordon wins record fifth Brickyard 400" — , July 28, 2014
- Jeff Gluck. "NASCAR confiscates parts from Denny Hamlin's Brickyard car" — , July 28, 2014
- Jim Peltz. "Jeff Gordon makes best restart of his life for fifth Brickyard 400 win" — , July 27, 2014
- Jeff Gluck. "NASCAR at Indianapolis: Start time, lineup, TV schedule" — , July 27, 2014
- "RECORD WIN AT INDY HELPS GORDON CLINCH CHASE SPOT" — , July 27, 2014
- Mark Ambrogi. "John Wayne Walding named this year's Brickyard 400 hero" — , July 24, 2014