Emergency directive for Sikorsky S-92A helicopters
Saturday, March 21, 2009
Canadian helicopter crash, the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is developing an emergency safety directive for operators of similar helicopters to change titanium studs to steel studs before any S-92A helicopters can take to the air again.helicopters are expected to be grounded until the mounting stud on the main gearbox filter bowl are changed. Following examination of the wreckage from a
crashed into the north last Friday, March 13, killing 17 of the 18 people on board. All bodies were recovered Tuesday and they have been released by the coroner to their families. The voice and have been retrieved and are in good condition. They have been sent to for examination by aviation officials.
Mr. Robert Decker was the only survivor and has not recovered enough to speak with the. "Mr. Decker was back in the fuselage and what happened during the occurrence, happened in the cockpit and Mr. Decker wouldn't be privy to that. But on the issue of survivability, he may be able to help with that," said Dave Cunningham, of the .
A review of immersion suit standards of the two year old suits worn during this trip is being called for by the, . Williams is also urging for a review of offshore safety procedures, including placement of search and rescue aircraft closer to the capital.
The final report on the crash will take about a year to compile, however Cunningham will speak to the media at the end of next week.
- "All bodies recovered from Canadian helicopter crash" — Wikinews, March 17, 2009
- "Search for survivors of Canadian helicopter crash ends, recovery mission focuses on victims" — Wikinews, March 16, 2009
- "Recovery planned for crashed Canadian helicopter" — Wikinews, March 15, 2009
- "Canadian helicopter with 18 onboard crashes into Atlantic Ocean" — Wikinews, March 13, 2009
- Lucy Campbell. "Known Defect Could Have Caused Crash of Hibernia-Bound Sikorsky Helicopter" — , March 20, 2009
- "Broken mounting stud found in N.L. helicopter wreckage" — , March 20, 2009
- "Canada: US will ground helicopters" — , March 20, 2009
- "Broken part found on doomed helicopter" — , March 20, 2009
- "Hundreds mourn victims of Canada helicopter crash" — , March 19, 2009
- Ken Meaney. "N.L. calls for investigation into survival suit standards" — , March 19, 2009
- Ken Meaney. "Wreckage suggests N.L. helicopter nosedived into ocean" — , March 19, 2009