United States Coast Guard: Possible human remains in debris from imploded Titan submersible
Wednesday, July 5, 2023
After approximately an hour and 45 minutes' descent, the Titan lost contact with its support ship, the. A search effort involving ships and ROVs began, and an ROV found debris about 1,600 feet (488 m) from the of the Titanic on June 22. US Coast Guard Rear Admiral John Mauger stated the debris was "consistent with a catastrophic implosion of the vehicle."
A NPR the Navy decided to continue the mission "as a search and rescue and make every effort to save the lives on board." Search crews reported sounds at 30-minute intervals the 's Carl Hartsfield noted others claimed to be "banging noises", but Mauger said "[t]here doesn't appear to be any connection between the noises" and the missing submersible.acoustic system identified an "an anomaly consistent with an implosion or explosion" on June 18 in the area where the Titan was last detected. An official told
With extreme pressure at that depth, an implosion would have instantly killed the five on board: OceanGate CEO Pakistani-born British executive and his British 19-year-old son Suleman, British businessman and French explorer .,
The recovery's search pattern.
Rush in 2015.
- Paul P. Murphy, Kristina Sgueglia, Paula Newton. "'Presumed human remains' found in wreckage of doomed Titan submersible, US Coast Guard says" — , June 29, 2023
- Patrick Whittle. "Human remains have likely been recovered from the Titan submersible wreckage, US Coast Guard says" — , June 28, 2023
- Associated Press. "What happens during a catastrophic implosion? Titan submersible occupants likely died instantly" — , June 23, 2023
- Emily Olson. "The U.S. Navy heard the likely implosion of the missing Titan sub on Sunday" — , June 23, 2023
- Joseph Ax, Steve Gorman. "Titanic sub destroyed in 'catastrophic implosion,' all five aboard dead" — , June 23, 2023
- Melissa Goldin. "Coast Guard did not release audio of noises from its search for the Titanic-bound submersible" — , June 22, 2023