Bomb explosion in Lahore kills more than 65 on Easter
Monday, March 28, 2016
A suicide bombing killed more than 65 people, by varying reports, in, , yesterday evening in . More than 280 people were injured. , a -offshoot group, claimed the responsibility of the bombing which detonated just a few feet away from the swing-set.
|When the blast occurred, the flames were so high they reached above the trees and I saw bodies flying in the air.|
—Hasan Imran, eye-witness
The claimant group said the bombing targeted theminority in the nation. Ehansullah Ehsan told , a Pakistani newspaper, "We claim responsibility for the attack on Christians as they were celebrating ".
A 30-year-old eye-witness Hasan Imran said, in remarks to, "When the blast occurred, the flames were so high they reached above the trees and I saw bodies flying in the air." The country has had continuing problems with the Taliban. In 2014, more than 140 people were killed in a school attack.
After the incident, White Housespokesman Ned Price in a statement said "The stands with the people and government of Pakistan at this difficult hour. We will continue to work with our partners in Pakistan and across the region [...] to root out the scourge of terrorism". Prime minister expressed his condolence to Pakistani Prime Minister by telephoning him; and said "The coward terrorists attacked children and women [...] It's condemnable to attack innocent children and women. We are with Pakistani nation at [this] time".
reported hundreds of citizens donated blood for the needy. Chief Minister announced three-day mourning.
added the security check for people to mark themselves safe after the incident.
- "Nation mourns, world condemns Taliban attack on Pakistan army school" — Wikinews, December 18, 2014
- Dan Turkel (Reuters). "Suicide bombing in Lahore, Pakistan, kills at least 65 - mostly women and children" — , March 28, 2016
- "Pakistan explosion leaves many dead at Lahore park" — , March 27, 2016
- Nick Robins-Early. "Photos From Pakistan Show The Tragic Aftermath Of Deadly Lahore Bombing" — , March 27, 2016
- Rana Tanveer, Agencies, Muhammad Shahzad, Ali Usman, Abdul Manan, Tahir Khan. "Suicide blast kills at least 72 in Lahore park" — , March 27, 2016