Wikinews interviews U.S. Libertarian presidential candidate Bob Jackson
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Jackson, an engineer, believes that he can win the Libertarian nomination and, though it is unlikely, the White House as well.
He believes that the strength of America is based on the maximum freedom of citizens who are responsible for their actions. "This", he says, "is guaranteed by the Constitution and made possible by the rule of law and limited government."
He has plans for Iraq and the economy, as well as "correcting a dysfunctional government, a real energy policy and a better national defense."
((WN )) : Why do you want to run for president?
- Mr. Jackson: During the past 40 years it has become abundantly clear that both the Democrats and Republicans covet expanded government without regard to fiscal responsibility and personal liberty as guaranteed by the Constitution. The vicious attacks among them show that their only objective is to gain personal power and their only difference is over which part of the government should grow the fastest. Tragically we no longer have an effective two party system. The Libertarian party is the only alternate party to bring balance and responsibility back to the government.
- I believe that the strength of this country is based on the maximum freedom of the citizens who are responsible for their actions. This is guaranteed by the constitution and made possible by the rule of law and limited government. The government must be returned to the people and to the authority granted in the constitution. I truly believe that, with the help of the people, I have the background and ability to guide a transition to return the federal government back to the Constitution. My plan is being developed and described in the web page www.bobjackson.org.
((WN )) : If elected, how would you handle Iraq?
- Mr. Jackson: The United States should declare victory in Northern Iraq and let the Kurds control their fledgling democracy. We should stabilize the Shi areas of Iraq into areas that they can control so that the United States would have another friendly ally. This would also be a victory. We should help the rest of Iraq areas to gain their control and if that is not done in a reasonable time we should let them decide their own future without our help. The United States should remain strong in this world and help freedom flourish wherever possible. We have a committed enemy that wants to destroy the United States by “a death of a thousand cuts”. The United States can prevail against this aggression through better leadership.
((WN )) : How would you handle the economy?
- Mr. Jackson: I would concentrate on getting federal spending balanced within a reduced budget. This would allow America to bring the two most powerful forces for economic success, free enterprise and the profit motive, forward to build a better and ever improving economy. The more personal freedoms we can reinstall in America the faster we will grow. The smaller the government involvement in business the better business will produce. I would propose to redefine the tax system as it is a barrier to personal and economic growth. With a smaller government a tax system like the "Fair Tax" would be great for expanded economic success.
((WN )) : Do you think that you have a good shot at getting the Libertarian nomination? If so, do you think it's possible that you could be in the White House this time next year?
- Mr. Jackson: I do believe that I have an excellent chance to gain the Libertarian nomination because my experience is best for governance at the federal level. It is possible but not probable for victory at this time. However, If the electorate finds non leader Senators from a dysfunctional government are only a choice between the lesser of two evils, and they understand the Libertarian alternative, I can be elected.
((WN )) : There are thousands reading this right now. What could you say to convince them to give you their vote?
- Mr. Jackson: I believe that the strength of this country is based on the maximum freedom of the citizens who are responsible for their actions. This is guaranteed by the constitution and made possible by the rule of law and limited government. The government must be returned to the people and to the authority granted in the constitution. I truly believe that, with the help of the people, I have the background and ability to the president and guide a transition to return the federal government back to the Constitution.
- I am an Eagle scout. That means that I am trustworthy, Loyal, Honest, Prepared, trained and I help others at all times. I am responsible for my actions and I take full advantage of my personal freedoms. That is – I have always been a Libertarian.
- I am an engineer – weigh all the facts and make the best solution that works. 100% vrs 51%. I have better broad based business, citizen and community credentials than any other candidate. I have unequalled energy and drive.
- Check my web page bobjackson.org Particularly review my plans for correcting a dysfunctional government, a real energy policy and a better national defense.