Need a little "wind in your sails"?Edit
- You'll love this article:
Place to find ideas for articlesEdit
- #wikinews-feeds irc channel provides a ticker showing you the latest news from many sources.
Government Statistics News in Selected CountriesEdit
- See also: Portal:World
Locations chosen by availability in English language
- United Kingdom - a news goldmine for UK stats that you can write about. Constantly updating not only things such as the average height and weight of a child in the UK, but current market trends, tourism trends, press releases.
- Ireland - Are the Irish travelling more? Where do they travel to? How much do they make now? What do they do die of, and are they raping/killing/robbing each other more, or less, than they were last year? If these questions grab you, write a story.
- United States A site that leads you to everything you could possibly want to know about the United States, its agencies and statistics. This is a site if you know what you're curious about: it's Spartan, but it will lead to anything you may want to know about America, from Department of Energy press releases to how many obese people live in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
- Australian government's site detailing a range of Australian statistics. You can also go to their media releases, Essentially: a site perfect for those with an Australian headline in mind, but perhaps less of use for the casual story idea seeker.
- New Zealand A site that is frequently updated. May requires some inventiveness to rework titles such as "Births at 44 Year High", "More beverages available with less alcohol content", back the data up with additional sources and create an article then you are welcome to attempt to write it.
- South Africa's statistics have a reputation for worthwhile information being less-easy to extract.
-  This is a model site for the people, and prime for OR story ideas. From employment to gas sales to hourly earnings to family violence. You can hunt around on here and come up with a Canadian angle.
- India a site that will appeal to the amateur anthropologist in all of us. In such a multi-dimensional society, a site that is "just the facts, please' and is better for researching pre-conceived questions than to surf for possible angles for a story.
English News Sources From Around the WorldEdit
- See also: Portal:Politics and conflicts
This is a collection of a few English language sources for various countries and organizations. For even more sources by region, including native language resources, please see Wikinews:Global Networking.
- See also: Portal:Asia
A way to find court cases: e-Court services, which is run by Government of India can be helpful, with CRN number required to search any case.
Explanation using an example: Consider searching a court case handled by the Meghalaya High Court's SR Sen.
- Go to their official website.
- Under Services, click "Judgements".
- Click on "Judge wise" under "Case Orders".
- Select the name of the judge from drop-down.
This may prove helpful to get the complete hearing of the case, unlike how the Indian MSM trims the case study. It would be good to add a link to the original hearing as external link, or even use it as a valid source.
Africa and Middle EastEdit
- See also: Portal:Africa
- See also: Portal:Middle East
(more Middle East sources)
- Save Darfur press releases - an important story of our time, some attempts to keep it updated on here should be made
- African Union News and Events
- BBC Middle East
- Arab News The First English Daily Newspaper in Saudi Arabia, published simultaneously from Jeddah, Riyadh and Dhahran
- Al Jazeera, controversial Arabic news services English site
- See also: Portal:Israel
- Haaretz, Israel Daily with a respected reputation; widely read in Israel, Hebrew and English
- ynet, popular Israel Daily; widely read in Israel, Hebrew and English
- Jerusalem Post, English language daily; not widely read in Israel but influential in the United States; reputation as conservative (even neoconservative)
- Palestinian Authority news from the Middle East Media Research Center, an "independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit, 501 (c)3 organization. MEMRI's headquarters is located in Washington, DC with branch offices in London, Tokyo, Rome, Baghdad and Jerusalem. MEMRI research is translated to English, German, Hebrew, Italian, French, Spanish and Japanese."
- See also: Portal:South Africa
- See also: Portal:Canada
- Macleans, a widely-read weekly news magazine.
- Globe and Mail Canada's "New York Times"
- National Post, National paper owned by News Corp. with intent to take on Globe & Mail; has come up in respectability
- Canada.com, very comprehensive and free website run by one of Canada's mega-giant media companies,CanWest Global Communications
- See also: Portal:Chile
- See also: Portal:United States
- See also: Portal:Ireland
- See also: Portal:United Kingdom
- See also: Wikinews:Global Networking/Oceania
- See also: Portal:Australia
- ABC News Online, government funded broadcast media organisation that covers local and national news
- The Australian, the first national paper, a News Corp. property
- Australian Financial Review, daily business-focused news
- Crikey, independent news website
- Nine News, the national news service of the Nine Network, a Nine/Fairfax subsidiary
- SBS World News, government-funded news organisation that focuses on multiethnic communities
- Sydney Morning Herald, founded in 1831 as the Sydney Herald, the SMH is the oldest continuously-published newspaper in Australia.
- The Age, a broadsheet daily newspaper, which has been published in Melbourne since 1854
- See also: Portal:New Zealand
International English languageEdit
- Agence France news ticker. Only headlines, but excellent to find out quick soundbites and updated. Write the stories to the headlines you read here on Wikinews. Just research it using other sources.
- United Nations News Service, the UN's news site
- Japan Today, magazine-style news items about Japanese business and politics, with discussion groups
- China Daily (PROC government-controlled)
- See also: Portal:Internet
- YouTube clips that are making news - has something shown up on YouTube recently people are talking about (and you should write about)?
- Online Journalism News (UK) "The Essential Site for Journalists"
- Wikileaks (currently inoperative, see Here for status
- Drudge Report, say what you will, he breaks stories and everyone reads him. Important during 2008 election; so many links to so many political sites, that alone makes it good for research
- Huffington Post, same as Drudge, and very notable columnists. Political news aggregators and other features make it handy for research
Economy and businessEdit
- See also: Portal:Economy and business
International organizations dataEdit
Government business/economic resourcesEdit
Military, Defense and WarEdit
Media, culture and entertainmentEdit
- See also: Portal:Culture and entertainment
- See also: Portal:Music
- See also: [[::Category:Art|:Category:Art]]
- Artnet news, including art market trends, upcoming events, international
- The Art Newspaper includes the drama and intrigue of the art scene
- See also: Portal:Film
Journalism and mediaEdit
- See also: [[::Category:Media|:Category:Media]]
- Worldwide Press Freedom Index (2006) put out by Reporters Without Borders. North Korea, Turkmenistan, Eritrea the worst violators of press freedom.
- Columbia Journalism Review's Who Owns What, a guide to what the major media companies own
- Editor & Publisher Magazine, a publication written by the mainstream media that tracks the mainstream media.
- Stay Free Magazine, explores the politics, mass media and American culture.
- Gawker, the original lookey-loo reporting of the famous, but some interesting research and resources, and nowhere near as vile as TMZ
- Media Matters, media watchdog organization.
- Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting, media watchdog group
- See also: [[::Category:Theatre|:Category:Theatre]]
- See also: [[::Category:Literature|:Category:Literature]]
- See also: [[::Category:New York Fashion Week|:Category:New York Fashion Week]]
- See also: Portal:Television
Major Global Cities: Press ReleasesEdit
- See also: [[::Category:London|:Category:London]]
- See also: Portal:New York
- See also: Portal:Washington, D.C.
- See also: [[::Category:Sydney|:Category:Sydney]]
- See also: [[::Category:Dublin|:Category:Dublin]]
- See also: [[::Category:Los Angeles, California|:Category:Los Angeles, California]]
Journals and ScholarshipEdit
- Google Scholar, which indexes the full text of scholarly research journals
- CiteSeer public search engine and digital library for scientific and academic papers.
Deaths, Medical and HealthEdit
- See also: Portal:Health
- Health Canada, government site with advisories, warnings and recalls.
- Latest Avian Flu News from the WHO
- World Health Organization Country Statistics
- Health Square.com information on Prescription Drug Indications, Dosage, Warnings and Possible Interactions; Color Pill Images; Patient Information Pamphlets, outlining what to expect when dealing with various conditions, required tests and treatments; and detailed information and color illustrations regarding the diagnosis, cause and treatment of most major health problems.
- See also: Portal:Obituaries
- See also: Portal:Science and technology
Protests and media releasesEdit
- Eworldwire, a site that presents and disseminates news and video the article subject's want you to know, from their perspective but uses due diligence and other verification methods.
- Protest.net, a global site listing information about protest events and locations.
- PR Newswire, a site that presents news the article subject's want you to know, from their perspective
Advocacy groups and activistsEdit
Wikimedia Research and ToolsEdit
- See also: Portal:Wikimedia
- See also: Portal:Crime and law
- See also: Wikinews:Code of Ethics
- www.iapcworld.org International Association of Press Clubs - join your local. They are often not expensive, and can assist with knowledge and helping you gain access to police press passes, events, et. al. It is also another credential.
- Reporters Without Borders - Online press freedom organization; has an interesting Handbook for bloggers and cyber-dissidents.
- Freedom House Global Press Freedom 2007: Threats to Media Independence
Your rights as a reporter and photographerEdit
Language Translation ServicesEdit