Wesley So wins TATA Steel Chess
Wednesday, February 1, 2017
Wesley So won five games and drew the remaining eight. A player gets a point for each win, half a point for a draw and no points for a loss. He is currently on a 56 lossless game streak.
In the final round, Wesley So was paired against Russian grandmaster . Wesley So captured a central pawn which was expected to be recaptured to equalise material but wasn't. Soon, his opponent unexpectedly offering a pawn sacrifice which was accepted. Despite being ahead in material his opponent threatened to capture his queen. However, he was able to defend using his extra central pawn and prevent counter-play forcing the Russian to .
He won last year'sby winning the and and coming second in the Leuven Grand Chess Tour.
Magnus Carlsen won four, tied eight and lost a game against Russian . In the game, Karjakin provoked Carlsen to sacrifice his knight on which grandmaster tweeted, "Karjakin must be in a very charitable mood". He quickly sacrificed his knight pinning Karjakin's knight to his queen. Despite being a piece down he gained an advantageous position. Karjakin defended his position extremely well, as grandmaster said, "He can commit the most despicable errors and then show world-class toughness from the next second!". The defence worked and a draw was agreed upon.. In the last round he faced his rival and contender for the World Chess Championship of the last year,
Also known as the "Wimbledon of Chess", the Tata Steel Chess tournament attracts top chess players every year. The tournament has two professional groups, Masters and Challengers, and an amateur group. It is organised in aformat where each player plays a game against all other players. The tournament is scheduled to run its 80th edition next year in Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands.
- "Standings of Tata Steel Masters" — , January 31, 2017 (date of access)
- "Final Tour Standings - 2016" — , January 31, 2017 (date of access)
- "Wesley So wins Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2017" — , January 30, 2017
- Fabiano Caruana. "Fabiano Caruana on twitter" — , January 29, 2017
- PowerPlayChess. "Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2017 Round 13 Nepomniachtchi v So" — , January 29, 2017
- Alejandro Ramirez. "2017 Tata Rd13: Deserved Winner" — , January 29, 2017
- "Round 13 - part 7" — , January 29, 2017
- Alejandro Ramirez. "2017 Tata Rd10: Aronian brilliant, So clear leader" — , January 26, 2017
- "Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2017" — , January 14, 2017
- "Magnus Carlsen remains world chess champion" — , December 2, 2016