Why I write for Wikinews edit
Call me old school: I enjoy news that's either useful or challenging. News should be calisthenics for brain cells. If there's a low cost preventive treatment that saves the lives of babies? Cool, I'll write that up. Good news helps people make intelligent decisions.
Wikinews is people who write news they care about; the site isn't out to sell eyeballs to advertisers. And maybe that's a smart approach that can work.
WikiVoices holds chats in text and voice via Skype, including recorded sessions, to bring people together in discussion and content creation.
WikiVoices began at English Wikipedia as "Not the Wikipedia Weekly". Now it's housed at Meta under a new name to give all Wikimedia Foundation projects an equal footing. If you'd like to hold a WikiVoices session to discuss Wikinews or create a new article collaboratively, let me know. I'll be glad to help new participants get started.
Articles created through WikiVoices collaboration:
Articles I've created for Wikinews edit
- Wikipedia publishes 10 millionth article
- Media reports exaggerate cell phone cancer risk
- Peruvian necklace identified as oldest gold artifact in the Americas
- California offers rebates for alternative fuel vehicles
- Mob kills 'witches' in Kenya
- 19 Kenyans arrested for 'witch' killings
- Study: Herd animals detect Earth's magnetic field
- Flu shots for pregnant women protect newborns after birth
- False cancer cure claims lead to federal charges against five US companies
- Media reports exaggerate cell phone risks again
- Incomplete data may mislead doctors into overprescribing expensive medicines
- Rap music fan sentenced to Beethoven, pays fine instead
- Wildfires rage north of Los Angeles
- Chula Vista, California becomes national model for blight control laws
- Excessive surgeries swell Medicare costs
- Clash of cultures: Somali and Latino workers at U.S. meat packing plants
- Christian Science Monitor to cease daily print publication
- Genentech seeks accelerated FDA approval for brain tumor treatment
- Children of smokers more likely to go hungry, according to study
- Olympic condoms auctioned: "faster, higher, stronger"
- Stolen minibus recovered 35 years after theft
- Cigarette butts kill fish, scientists complain
Other people's articles I've helped revise for publication edit
Counting significant rewrites only, not minor copyedits.