Usain Bolt breaks 200m and 100m sprint records at championships
Saturday, August 22, 2009
Bolt sped through the 200m in a time of 19.19 seconds, breaking the 19.32 mark set by United States in 1996.of the
"I was trying, I was dying," Usain Bolt said after the race. "It wasn't a good race I can say but it was a fast one."
"Unbelievable — a ridiculous race. The bend is unbelievable," commented the aforementioned former record-holder Johnson while working for the BBC. "No one has ever run a bend like this and probably never will."
At 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m) tall, Bolt is uniquely tall among sprinters to have held record times.
|I am on my way to becoming a legend|
"I definitely showed people that my world records in Beijing were not a joke," Bolt said on BBC television. "I keep telling you guys my aim is to become a legend. I don't think about records. I don't put myself under pressure. I know what to do and I go and execute ... I did well for myself and I am on my way to becoming a legend so I am just happy."
"We call him 'Insane Bolt,'" commentedof the US, the third-place finisher.
Last Sunday, with a time a 9.58 seconds, the Jamaican runner set a new world record in the, besting his own prior 9.69 second record, which he set at the . In the race, he beat his main contender, , who was ahead for 10m until the Bolt reached his full stride.
After the 100 metre race, Bolt said, "I was ready. I was feeling good after the semi-finals, feeling good in myself, I felt good. So I knew it was going to be a great race, I just came out here and executed it. It's a great time, I felt I did well. I just feel good to know that I went out there and executed it."
Even before his exploits at the World Championships, Usain Bolt was chosen as' Sportsman of the Year for 2009.
- Nick Harris. "The Greatest: Usain Bolt" — , August 22, 2009
- "Awesome Bolt breaks 200m record" — , August 20, 2009
- Mitch Phillips. "Bolt reigns supreme after 200m world mark" — , August 20, 2009
- "Usain Bolt 200m WR 19,19 Berlin 2009" — , August 20, 2009 (Video)
- John Regis. "'Usain Bolt has got superhuman speed'" — , August 18, 2009
- Michael Hanlon. "As Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt smashes his own world record, are there ANY limits to what the human body can achieve?" — , August 18, 2009
- Alan Marshall. "Usain Bolt blitzes world record to land 100m gold at World Athletics Championships" — , August 17, 2009
- Jo Atkinson. "Brilliant Bolt smashes own world record" — , August 17, 2009
- "Bolt smashes own record to win world 100m title" — , August 17, 2009
- Ian Chadband. "World Athletics: Usain Bolt wins 100m gold in world-record smashing 9.58 seconds" — , August 16, 2009
- Steve Spencer. "Usain Bolt shatters his own 100m world record in stunning World Championship final" — , August 16, 2009