Two bomb explosions witnessed in Beirut
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
By Monday evening, Beirut had already witnessed two bomb explosions. A bomb exploded in Verdun, a busy residential and business area located in the Sunni Muslim west Beirut district. Seven people were injured as a result.
The Verdun bombing was the second one within a twenty-four hour period. Hours after the Sunday gun battle inbetween the and Palestinian Fatah al-Islam, a bomb exploded in the parking space of the ABC Mall; in the Christian east Beirut district of . An elderly woman was killed while ten others were injured. The ABC Mall owner, Robert Abu Fadil, was quoted as saying to the :
|We were expecting this kind of thing. For sure this will affect us in part, but we've been through more difficult times. But God is the Almighty. We will rebuild.|
Some civilians and the Lebanese government held Fatah al-Islam responsible for the two attacks, however the group denied it had any involvement in either of them.
- "Fighting erupts between Lebanese army and Islamist group" — Wikinews, May 20, 2007
- "At least seven hurt as another bomb strikes Beirut" — , May 22, 2007
- Omar Raad. "Hell Strikes Twice in Lebanon" — , May 21, 2007
- "Blast hits west Beirut" — , May 21, 2007
- "Blast rocks Beirut amid clashes" — , May 20, 2007