Song by indie artists, used in small movie, wins Oscar
Monday, February 25, 2008
The favorite in the category was Enchanted, a Disney film which received nominations for "Happy Working Song", "That's How You Know", and "So Close". Also nominated was "Raise It Up" from August Rush.
The soundtrack received a Grammy nomination in 2008.
Irglová was cut off by music, when stepping up to the microphone to speak. She was given a second chance to speak after the next commercial break, and was introduced onto the stage by host Jon Stewart.
For some time, the song's eligibility for an Oscar was in dispute, as it had appeared on a 2006 CD issued by Hansard's band, The Frames, and it had been performed by the couple in various European venues. The Academy ruled that because the song had been composed for the movie, and the prior public exposure during the long period that the movie took to produce had been minimal, it remained eligible.
- Transcript via email, from the Academy Publicity Department, sent on Sunday, February 24, 2007.
- "Frames' collaborator gets second chance at Oscars" — , February 25, 2008
- Todd Martens. "'Once' song eligible for Oscar" — , January 30, 2008
- Alex Billington. "Once Actress Markéta Irglová's Wonderful Oscar Acceptance Speech" — , February 24, 2008
- "Glen Hansard Marketa Irglova Once Oscar acceptance speeches", YouTube