Seven killed, forty-eight injured in attack on London Bridge
Monday, June 5, 2017
Saturday night in the UK, three men wearing what were later found to be fake suicide vests drove a van into crowds on , then exited the van at and began to stab people with blades, killing seven and injuring at least 48. All three were shot and killed by police, who went on to arrest at least twelve other people. Militants from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant claimed responsibility.
Prime Minister Theresa May says that the attacks on Westminster Bridge, Manchester Arena, and now London Bridge were not connected through any known network but did attribute the attack to the "evil ideology of extremism". According to the BBC, a witness to the attack heard one or more of the perpetrators say "this is for ."
|Muslims everywhere are outraged and disgusted at these cowards [...] That this should happen in this month of Ramadan [...] only goes to show that these people respect neither life nor faith|
—Harun Khan of the Muslim Council of Britain
"Enough is enough," said May. "There is, to be frank, far too much tolerance of extremism in our country. So we need to become far more robust at identifying it and stamping it out [...] That will require some difficult and often embarrassing conversations. We need to live our lives not in a series of separated, segregated communities but as one truly United Kingdom."
The Muslim Council of Britain condemned the attacks: "These acts of violence were truly shocking and I condemn them in the strongest terms. Muslims everywhere are outraged and disgusted at these cowards who once again have destroyed the lives of our fellow Britons. That this should happen in this month of Ramadan, when many Muslims were praying and fasting only goes to show that these people respect neither life nor faith" said the organization's Secretary General, .
Yesterday morning there was no train service to London Bridge station. Because the site was still cordoned off, many people had to take miles-long detours, often on foot, to get to work or else had to wait outside for long periods. Security office Mohammed Osman told the press: "I'm not feeling worried. I'm strong enough. These enemies are trying to divide us but we have to be together."
While most of the country's political parties have decided to suspend campaigning temporarily, the upcoming general elections scheduled for Thursday have not been cancelled.
According to the BBC, this attack differs from the one in Manchester Arena because creating a bomb requires sophisticated technical skill and operating vans and knives does not.
Some of the people injured in the attacks have been released from hospitals; as of yesterday, others were still reported in critical condition.
- "British counterterrorism agents say many of Manchester arena suicide bomber's confederates in custody" — Wikinews, May 27, 2017
- "Theresa May calls for June general election" — Wikinews, April 21, 2017
- Leon Watson, Helena Horton, Sophie Jamieson, Barney Henderson. "Live: London Bridge attack latest: Islamic State claim responsibility as first victim named as Chrissy Archibald" — , June 4, 2017
- Robert Booth, Vikram Dodd, Lisa O'Carrollm Matthew Taylor. "Police race to establish if London Bridge attackers were part of network" — , June 4, 2017
- "London attack: Seven killed in vehicle and stabbing incidents" — , June 4, 2017
- Francesca Gillett. "Muslim Council of Britain: 'Attack during Ramadan shows they respect neither life nor faith'" — , June 4, 2017