Seoul city Mayor Park Won-soon found dead, South Korean police confirm
Thursday, July 9, 2020
Park Won-soon, the mayor of Seoul, South Korea, was found dead, police reported Friday morning, local time (UTC+0900). He was reported missing Thursday evening by the police. Park was 64 years old.
Park Won-soon's body was found at Mount Bukak. According to initial reports, the police have been investigating the specifics about the cause of his death.
According to local reports, the 64-year-old mayor left his home a quarter before 11 a.m. on Thursday with a backpack. At about 5:17 p.m. his daughter reported to the police he "left home four–five hours ago after leaving words like a will, with his phone currently off." ((ko))Korean language: 4~5시간 전에 아버지가 유언 같은 말을 남기고 집을 나갔는데 전화기가 꺼져 있다 Park's phone was last active in the north-east region of Seoul in Seongbuk-gu, The Korea Herald reported.
The Seoul government said Park had cancelled his entire Thursday schedule.
A large search operation was launched, involving over 500 police officers and firefighters.
Shortly before Park Won-soon's death, on Wednesday a case was reportedly filed against him by a former secretery concerning sexual harassment, and the police had said they would be investigating the allegations.
Park was elected mayor of the capital city in 2011. He was re-elected twice, in 2014 and 2018. His current term was through 2021.
- Park Han-na. "[Breaking] Seoul mayor found dead, suicide suspected" — The Korea Herald, July 10, 2020
- Yoonjung Seo. "Seoul's mayor found dead, hours after police launched search operation to find him" — CNN, July 9, 2020
- Yoonjung Seo. "Seoul mayor reported missing as police launch search" — CNN, July 9, 2020
- Hyonhee Shin. "Seoul mayor found dead after leaving message 'like a will'" — Reuters, July 9, 2020
- "Park Won-soon: Mayor of Seoul reported missing with search under way" — BBC News Online, 9 July, 2020
- Yonhap. "Police searching for Seoul mayor after missing report" — The Korea Herald, July 9, 2020
- "[속보] “박원순 서울시장 유언 같은 말 남기고 나가” 딸이 경찰에 신고" — Kukmin Ilbo, July 9, 2020 (Korean)
- Lee Se-young. ""박시장이 성추행 하고 사진을 보냈어요" 前비서 경찰에 고소" — The Chosun Ilbo, July 9, 2020 (Korean)