Puerto Rico's governor Rosselló resigns, new governor sworn in
Sunday, August 4, 2019
On Friday, United States commonwealth of Puerto Rico and was sworn in at 5 p.m. local time (2100 ) as Puerto Rico's new governor. The Puerto Rican constitution stipulates the secretary of state succeeds to the governorship following a vacancy, but the post remained unfilled until Pierluisi was appointed to the position.resigned as the governor of
The exiting governor Rosselló appointed Pierluisi as secretary of state. Earlier on Friday, the commonwealth'sconfirmed him, but the had not confirmed him. The constitution requires both houses of the to confirm nominees.
Pierluisi said from ((es))Spanish language: Si el Senado me ratifica, seré gobernador hasta el 2020. Si el Senado no me ratifica, seré gobernador hasta el próximo miércoles The Senate was set to meet on Wednesday, but at nearly the same time as Pierluisi's comments, the Senate announced it would meet on Monday.Hall of Mirrors, "If the Senate confirms me, I will be governor until 2020. If the Senates does not confirm me, I will be governor until next Wednesday."
Senate Presidentexpressed opposition to the swearing-in of Pierluisi, and suggested there were not enough votes in the Senate for his confirmation. One senator, Eduardo Bhatia, said he intended to sue over the controversy. , the mayor of the capitol city of , said she would challenge Pierluisi's oath of office in court.
Secretary of Justice Wanda Vázquez Garced, the would-be successor should Pierluisi remain unconfirmed by the Senate, has expressed she is uninterested in taking up the office of governor but would do so if she did succeed to it, according to Reuters.
Pierluisi is the former Puerto Rican non-voting delegate to the U.S. House of Representatives. While Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States, it is not a state and does not get representation in the U.S. Senate, a vote in the U.S. House, nor any vote in the that elects the .
- "Puerto Rico governor announces resignation following protests" — Wikinews, July 28, 2019
- "Puerto Rico: New governor brings more controversy after protests" — , August 3, 2019
- Merrit Kennedy, Brakkton Booker, and Richard Gonzales. "New Puerto Rico Governor Sworn In Amid Political Chaos" — , August 2, 2019
- Ricardo Cortés Chico. "Pedro Pierluisi asume las riendas del país como gobernador" — , August 2, 2019 ()
- Joanisabel Gonzalez. "Pierluisi sabe que su gobernación puede ser breve, pero asume el riesgo" — , August 2, 2019 ()
- Frances Robles and Patricia Mazzei. "Ricardo Rosselló Steps Down as Puerto Rico’s Governor, and Pedro Pierluisi Is Sworn In" — , August 2, 2019