Politically concerned movie Zootopia wins Academy Award for Best Animated Feature Film
Wednesday, March 1, 2017
On Sunday, Disney's won the Oscars award for the Best Animated Feature Film at the 89th ceremony held at Los Angeles. Pixar's animated short won the Oscar for Best Animated Short Film and Disney's won for Visual Effects.
Others competing with Zootopia in the category were, , , and Disney's . This was the first Oscar for directors and who were previously nominated for, respectively, and .
In the acceptance speech, director The New York Times said the parental guidance (PG) rated movie was "Funny, smart, thought-provoking — and musical, too."said, "About five years ago, almost six now, [...] we got this crazy idea of talking about humanity with talking animals in the hopes that, when the film came out, it would make the world just a slightly better place." The Disney movie addresses several social problems such as racism, sexism, prejudice, stereotyping, and fear.
Before announcing the award, Mexican actor said, "As a Mexican, as a Latin-American, as a migrant worker, as a human being, I'm against any form of wall that wants to separate us." The movie was released in March, during the 2016 US presidential race.
In an interview with Variety, the directors of Zootopia said movies about bias and discrimination haven't been Disney's main focus, but during its production, "Things were not great in the world. [...] It was more like we had our finger on something important right now and we really need to do our best to portray this as honestly as we can. Then with the election and the campaign, the real move towards governing by fear [...] I don't think we could have predicted it any closer with this film."
With this win, the Walt Disney Company has won nine out of ten Best Animated Feature Film Oscars in the last decade, with Pixar Animation Studio winning six out of them. Zootopia also won Best Animated Film at theand the .
- The Academy. "The Academy on Twitter" — , February 27, 2017
- Pixar. "Disney Pixar on Twitter" — , February 27, 2017
- Amanda Lee Myers (AP). "Socially relevant ‘Zootopia’ wins Oscar for best animation" — , February 27, 2017
- ZOOTOPIA Wins 2017 Oscar for Animated Feature Film" — , February 26, 2017. "
- Jenelle Riley. "'Zootopia' Helmers Byron Howard, Rich Moore on Their Timely, Subversive Toon" — , February 15, 2017
- Johnny Brayson. "‘Zootopia’ Just Might Be The Most Important & Timely Movie Of The Year" — , March 4, 2016
- Neil Genzlinger. "Review: In ‘Zootopia,’ an Intrepid Bunny Chases Her Dreams" — , March 3, 2016