Petition calls for Trump UK ban
Wednesday, December 9, 2015
A petition reached over 300,000 signatures today urging Donald Trump, considered the front runner to become the 's candidate for President of the , be banned from entering the . This follows Mr Trump's comments that should be blocked from entering the US.
Also,'s First Minister, , removed Trump from his role as business ambassador for Scotland.
On Monday, Mr Trump said he wants a "total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the US" until the country can understand "what the hell is going on" with regard to terrorism. He said in a statement that a large number of Muslims show "great hatred towards Americans".
Trump's comments on Monday came days after a shooting in, by Syed Rizwan Farook and his wife Tashfeen Malik, in which fourteen people were killed. US President said in an address from the on Sunday the attack was an act of terrorism.
Donald Trump's statement has been widely criticised, including by members of his own political party. Republican Paul Ryan said "this is not Conservatism".said the policy is a "bad idea" and Speaker of the
Hillary Clinton described Trump's comments as "shameful". Secretary of State John Kerry argued Trump's statement would not help in the ongoing fight against Islamic State (IS), saying his remarks were "not constructive".candidate for President
Trump argued that his policy idea is "no different" to that of former Presidentpolicy which saw large-scale confinement of Japanese US citizens in internment camps following Japan's attacks on in 1941. Mr Trump also said the policy should not be implemented on Muslims currently living within the US.
Kassem Allie from the, accused Trump of evoking fear "reminiscent of and ". expressed concern Trump's demands could be counterproductive in the fight against IS, saying it "bolsters Isil's narrative".
Mr Trump also said on Tuesday that police in London are "afraid for their lives" in some areas because of radicalisation in the city. These comments were rebuffed by the United Kingdom Prime Minister David Cameron who said Trump was "simply wrong" and Mayor of London Boris Johnson said the claim was "ridiculous".
- "Trump UK ban petition passes 300,000 signatures" — , December 9, 2015
- "Donald Trump: Robert Gordon University strips honorary degree" — , December 9, 2015
- John Whitesides. "Muslim proposal prompts calls to ban Trump from UK, Israel" — , December 9, 2015
- Tom McCarthy, Ben Jacobs, Sabrina Siddiqui, Ryan Felton, Kate Lamb. "Donald Trump's Muslim ban plan plunges Republican party into chaos" — , December 9, 2015
- "Trump’s Muslim ban call 'endangers US security'" — , December 8, 2015
- Anthony Zurcher. "Is Donald Trump destroying the Republican Party?" — , December 8, 2015
- Faith Karimi, Catherine E. Shoichet, Dana Ford. "San Bernardino shooters were radicalized 'for quite some time,' FBI says" — , December 8, 2015
- Stephen Collinson. "Obama: 'This was an act of terrorism'" — , December 7, 2015
- Press release. "Donald J. Trump Statement on Preventing Muslim Immigration" — , December 7, 2015