North Korea withdraws from Tokyo Olympics, citing COVID-19 concerns
Friday, April 9, 2021
On Tuesday, North Korean government announced it would not participate in the delayed Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics "to protect players from the world public health crisis caused by COVID-19", the Associated Press reported. It is North Korea's first official withdrawal from Olympics since their boycott of the held in Seoul, South Korea, CBS News reported.
According to South Korea's 2016 Summer Olympics over concerns of the , but North Korea did., this is the first time North Korea withdrew from a major international sports event due to concerns of an infectious disease. Several athletes from multiple disciplines did not participate in the
While North Korea claims to have no cases of the coronavirus, professor of North Korean studies atPark Won Gon says it has shown "a coronavirus-related since it declared an emergency anti-virus system in January last year", adding it was very unlikely the country would be able to procure enough for its population by July, when the 2020 Olympics are scheduled to take place.
In November,reported North Korea had placed 81 thousand people, in quarantine excluding the soldiers in quarantine; and, by October 22, 32,011 people were placed in isolation. A source told Daily NK over 300 people had died in an isolation centre in .
Director of Asian Studies at Kim Jong-un. Recently, North Korea's vice department director of the Central Committee of the and sister of Kim Jong-un warned March 16 "[t]he peaceful spring days of three years ago are unlikely to return", calling South Korean leaders as "all born with stupidity" and they "have become the dumb and deaf bereft of judgment". The warning came after the United States and South Korea held joint military drills in March.Jeff Kingston told CBS this decision was a "setback for diplomacy". CBS also reported Seoul's disappointment at the nation's non-attendance, depriving South Korea a chance to discuss relations with North Korean dictator
This also comes after North Korea tested two ballistic missile on March 24, described by former admiral of theYoji Koda as "just the beginning of North Korean fervour."
North Korea participated in the boycotts of the Los Angeles.in Tokyo and in
- Sharon Omondi. "Is North Korea In The Olympics?" — , April 9, 2021 (date of access)
- "Jeff Kingston" — , April 6, 2021 (date of access)
- "North Korea drops out of Tokyo Olympics over COVID fears" — , April 6, 2021
- Lucy Craft. "North Korea to skip the Olympics for the 1st time in 3 decades" — , April 6, 2021
- Hyung-Jin Kim. "EXPLAINER: Why is North Korea skipping the Tokyo Olympics?" — , April 6, 2021
- "QUOTES-Reaction to North Korea's ballistic missile launch" — , April 6, 2021
- "It Will Be Hard to See Again Spring Days Three Years Ago" — , March 16, 2021
- Jang Seul Gi. "Sources: N. Korea is hiding the real number of suspected COVID-19 cases" — , November 5, 2020
- "Rio 2016: Are athletes using Zika virus as an excuse?" — , July 21, 2016