Joe Biden wins 2020 South Carolina US Democratic presidential primary
Monday, March 2, 2020
On Saturday, former United States Joe Biden won the Democratic Party's South Carolina . The Democratic Party uses primary elections, along with , to select its nominee for the 2020 United States presidential election.of the
Biden secured 39 of South Carolina's 54 delegates with about 48% of the vote, giving him a total of 54 delegates. United States Senator from Vermont Bernie Sanders came in second, with about 20% of the vote earning 15 delegates for a running total of 60. came in third, receiving roughly 11% of the votes.
The South Carolina primary was the fourth step in the Democratic party's primary election cycle. In Iowa, caucuses where held on February 3, and in New Hampshire, a primary election was held on February 11. Nevada held its caucuses on February 22.
Following South Carolina's primary, Bernie Sanders had the most delegates, with 60, followed by Biden, with 54. In third was Pete Buttigieg, the former mayor of , Indiana, who had 26 delegates that he earned in Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada. Additionally, Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts had 8 delegates, and Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota had 7. At least 1,991 delegates are needed to secure the party's nomination.
Following the primary, Steyer dropped out of the presidential race. Yesterday, Buttigieg followed suit, likewise dropping out of the race. Senator Klobuchar's campaign said she was ending her presidential bid today.
According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, the next primary election for either the Democratic or Republican Party is scheduled for tomorrow, when both parties are to hold more than a dozen primary elections.
Tomorrow, a Tuesday, is referred to as "American Samoa, representing a total of 1,357 delegates. The states scheduled to hold elections are Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont and Virginia." in the context of US presidential elections due to the large number of states holding primary elections. For the Democratic Party, Super Tuesday is to include 14 states, as well as the territory of
- "Bernie Sanders wins 2020 Nevada caucuses" — Wikinews, February 23, 2020
- "2020 United States presidential election: Trump, Sanders win New Hampshire primaries" — Wikinews, February 14, 2020
- Jason Lalljee and Deirdre Shesgreen. "With her 'Klomentum' gone, Amy Klobuchar ends her bid for the Democratic presidential nomination" — , March 2, 2020
- Thomas Beaumont, Meg Kinnard and Steve Peoples. "Buttigieg ends historic presidential campaign, urges unity" — , March 1, 2020
- David Siders. "South Carolina blows up the 2020 primary" — , February 29, 2020
- "South Carolina primary results and analysis" — , February 29, 2020
- Ann Schmidt. "What is Super Tuesday? What to know about the upcoming primaries" — , February 29, 2020
- "Nevada Caucuses 2020" — , February 24, 2020