Garuda Indonesia Flight 200's pilot's trial to begin this week
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
The trial of Captain Marwoto Komar is set to begin this week. The first pilot to be prosecuted over an aircraft accident in Indonesia, he is being charged over the March 7, 2007 crash of Garuda Indonesia Flight 200 at Yogyakarta International Airport, a disaster which killed 21 people.
The final report by the National Transport Safety Commission found that Komar had attempted to land the aircraft, a Boeing 737, at an unsafely high speed and steep angle, resulting in the plane overshooting the runway and bursting into flames. It further said that he ignored fifteen activations of the Ground Proximity Warning System telling him he was approaching too fast, as well as a request by the co-pilot to abort the landing.
According to Muhammad Assegaf, a member of Captain Komar's defense team, the trial begins on Thursday in Yogyakarta's Slemen District Court. When asked about the nature of the charges, deputy attorney general for general offenses Abdul Hakim Ritonga told reporters "It is complicated...but both aviation and criminal codes can be used," and that the charges would be of fatal negligence.
Most of those killed in the disaster were Indonesians, but five Australians were also killed. They were part of a group sent ahead of Australia's then foreign minister Alexander Downer to accompany him on a visit.
There is much controversy surrounding the prosecution. A group of pilots protested his initial arrest, saying he should appear before an aviation tribunal. Instead, he is set to be tried before five judges.
- "Air safety group says airport was operating illegally without license when Garuda Indonesia Flight 200 crashed" — Wikinews, June 23, 2008
- "Indonesian police hand over Garuda Indonesia Flight 200 report to prosecutors" — Wikinews, June 11, 2008
- "One year on: IFALPA's representative to ICAO, pilot and lawyer on ongoing prosecution of Garuda Indonesia Flight 200 pilot" — Wikinews, March 12, 2008
- "Garuda Indonesia Flight 200 pilot forced to resign" — Wikinews, February 28, 2008
- "Garuda Indonesia Flight 200 pilot released on bail" — Wikinews, February 15, 2008
- "Concern as Garuda Indonesia Flight 200 pilot arrested and charged" — Wikinews, February 7, 2008
- "Pilot of Garuda Indonesia Flight 200 speaks out for first time" — Wikinews, November 11, 2007
- "Australia completes inquest for victims of Garuda Indonesia Flight 200" — Wikinews, November 9, 2007
- "Garuda Indonesia Flight 200's pilot's marital problems may have affected judgement" — Wikinews, October 25, 2007
- "Calls made for prosecution in light of Garuda Indonesia Flight 200 report" — Wikinews, October 24, 2007
- "Report blames pilot error for Garuda Indonesia Flight 200 disaster" — Wikinews, October 22, 2007
- "Dozens dead in Indonesian plane crash" — Wikinews, March 7, 2007
- Telly Nathalia and Ed Davies. "Indonesia court to try pilot over Yogyakarta crash" — , July 21, 2008
- "Pilot to face court on crash deaths" — , July 22, 2008
- "Trial to begin this week for pilot in deadly Indonesian crash" — , July 21, 2008