Football: Manchester City signs Riyad Mahrez from Leicester
Thursday, July 12, 2018
On Tuesday, via their official website, Manchester City announced signing Algerian footballer from for a fee of 60 million , making him the most expensive player in Man City's history. Mahrez signed a five-year contract with the English winners which runs through 2023.
27-year-old Mahrez joined Leicester in January 2014 from the then-second tier French club . In his debut season for Leicester, they won the second-tier league title, gaining promotion to the Premier League.
Mahrez won the Premier League with the club in 2015–16. That season, Mahrez was named(PFA) Player of the Year.
After signing the contract, the Algerian forward said, "I am so pleased to have joined City, a side playing great football under Pep Guardiola [...] Watching them from afar has been a pleasure. Pep is committed to playing attacking football, which is perfect for me, and City's performances last season were outstanding. They're redefining the English game and I wanted to be a part of it."
Man City's director of footballsaid, "Riyad is a hugely talented player. He beats defenders and creates space [...] Over the past few years, he has established himself as one of the Premier League's most exciting players. We're sure he will bring additional attacking quality to our squad."
Mahzer has been allocated jersey number 26, the same number he has worn since moving to England in 2014.
- "Riyad Mahrez: Midfielder To Join Manchester City" — , July 10, 2018
- "Manchester City sign Riyad Mahrez from Leicester City in club-record deal" — , July 10, 2018
- Mark Critchley. "Manchester City sign Riyad Mahrez in club-record £60m deal" — , July 10, 2018
- Husmukh Kerai. "Riyad Mahrez joins Manchester City from Leicester" — , July 10, 2018
- "Riyad Mahrez Signs For Leicester City" — , January 11, 2014