Dozens killed after gunmen storm Turkish wedding reception
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
As many as 45 people have been killed and six others were injured after at least four gunmen with grenades stormed a wedding reception in the village of Bilge located in Turkey. Many of those killed were women and children. The attack is not believed to be related to terrorism.
"According to our investigations so far nothing indicates that this is a terror attack but a larger investigation is being run by the regional prosecutor," said the interior minister of Turkey, Besir Atalay. The attack is believed to be part of an ongoing blood feud between two families. Al Jazeera says the attack may also be related to rival gangs of village guards.
According to one unnamed witness as quoted by Reuters, "a few people" wearing masks entered the house where the reception was being held, "spraying the place with bullets" and began to shoot people, with the attack lasting at nearly 15 minutes. At least 200 people were believed to have been attending the reception.