Car driven into Glasgow International Airport
Saturday, June 30, 2007
An eyewitness told the BBC that "[A] man was on fire." All flights are grounded, and two men have been arrested and the United Kingdom has raised the national threat level to "critical" which means another terror attack is imminent.
Eyewitnesses described a Jeep speeding toward the building with flames coming out from underneath. They also reported seeing two Asian men in the car, one of whom was on fire.
The BBC quoted an eyewitness as saying that two attempts were made to ram the Jeep through the wall, and that the passenger was holding a lit Molotov Cocktail and made several attempts to throw the bottle.
Eyewitnesses are now saying that one of the two men was pouring bottles of petrol into the car's interior and onto himself, before running from the car, on fire, into the main terminal building. Witnesses have also reported that gas cylinders were removed by bystanders from the burning vehicle.
According to the BBC, the driver of the vehicle put up a violent struggle before being overpowered by the police and public. One person who tackled him was Stephen Clarkson, a member of the public.
Richard Gray, an eyewitness to the event, stated "There was an Asian guy who was pulled out of the car by two police officers."
Seven people have been taken to local hospitals with injuries.
Police said that this incident was a deliberate attempt and not a road accident. Officials have also said that the incident is connected to earlier attempted car bombings in London the day before.
While the suspect was being treated in the hospital, a suspect device was discovered in the hospital, resulting in the partial evacuation of the building while the device was moved to a safe area. This object later turned out to be mundane, although initial reports believed it to be a suicide belt.
The BBC announced that the Prime Minister is being kept fully informed. He chaired a meeting of Civil Contingencies Committee (COBRA) at 1900 (BST), after which the Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, announced that the national threat level been elevated from "Severe" to "Critical", meaning another attack is expected "imminently."
Officials at Edinburgh Airport have said that all cars are being turned away from the airport, and at Heathrow in London, passengers are being advised not to bring private cars near to the terminal buildings. Some passengers were kept waiting in planes while the area was secured.
The first bomber, who was taken to Govan high security prison, has now been interviewed, though no further statements from Strathclyde police have been forthcoming. The second bomber, who was taken to the Royal Alexandria hospital in Paisley, is listed in critical condition tonight, and is being kept under 24-hour guard.
2,300 passengers who were due to set off from Glasgow Airport today have been driven by coach to a conference centre, where a reception area has been set up for them.
|Police Incident Room|
|Anti-Terrorist Hotline Number|
- "MI5 terror threat warning level raised to 'critical'" — Wikinews, June 30, 2007
- "Car bomb defused in central London" — Wikinews, June 29, 2007
- "UK terror threat now 'critical'" — , June 30, 2007
- "Car crashes into airport building" — , June 30, 2007
- "Arrests After Burning Jeep Hits Airport" — , June 30, 2007
- "Car on fire drives into Scottish airport terminal" — , June 30, 2007
- "Airport alert 'was terrorist attack'" — , June 30, 2007
- Mark Trevelyan and Luke Baker. "Car explodes at Scottish airport after London bombs" — , June 30, 2007
- "Car smashed into Glasgow Airport" — , June 30, 2007
- "Glasgow Airport Closed, Evacuated After Car on Fire Rams Terminal" — , June 30, 2007
- The Associated Press. "Witness: SUV Tried To Ram Glasgow Airport" — , June 30, 2007
- "Eyewitness 'tackled' burning man" — , June 30, 2007
- "2 arrested after flaming car hits Glasgow airport" — , June 30, 2007
- By staff and agencies. "'Car on fire' driven into Glasgow airport" — , June 30, 2007
- Times Onlines and newswires. "Blazing car driven into Glasgow airport terminal" — , June 30, 2007
- "'Hundreds Of People Could Have Died'" — , June 30, 2007
- "Your pictures: Glasgow alert" — , June 30, 2007
- "Two held as blazing jeep crashes into British airport" — , June 30, 2007
- "'Terror Strike' As Burning Jeep Hits Airport" — , June 30, 2007
- "Flaming car rams Glasgow airport; two arrested" — , June 30, 2007
- "Blazing car crashes into airport" — , June 30, 2007
- "Gordon Brown statement in full" — , June 30, 2007