Canadian 2007 Genie Award nominations announced
Tuesday, January 9, 2007
Nominations for the Genie Awards, Canada's leading motion picture honours, were announced on Tuesday by the Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television.
The following films received the most nominations this year:
- The Rocket: The Maurice Richard Story, a dramatic portrayal of the honoured Montreal Canadiens hockey player, earned 13 nominations;
- The bilingual police-comedy Bon Cop, Bad Cop was 2006's most financially successful Canadian movie and it picked up ten nominations;
- Seven nominations went to Un dimanche à Kigali (A Sunday in Kigali), a drama set in Rwanda;
- Tideland, a movie produced by Terry Gilliam of Monty Python fame, was filmed in Saskatchewan and earned six nominations.
A best picture nomination was also given to Trailer Park Boys: The Movie, one of the few successful domestic films at Canadian box offices in 2006. That movie is based on a popular, internationally-distributed Canadian television series.
The Genie Awards will be presented on 13th February at a ceremony at the Carlu theatre in Toronto.
- "27th Genie Award Nominations" — Genie Awards, January 9, 2007
- "Trailer Park Boys, Bon Cop compete for best picture Genie" — CBC News, January 9, 2007