Bomb destroys Spanish police barracks and kills policeman in Basque Country
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
A car bomb car exploded today at 3:00 AM Spanish paramilitary police . A policeman died and 4 more were injured. The Basque group ETA was blamed for this attack by authorities, but no one has claimed responsibility yet.( ) in the town of Legutiano, near the barracks of the
The dead man was in a small surveillance building near the barracks, which were both destroyed by the bomb van. Four more people, two men and two women, were injured, one of them seriously. There were more than 40 people in the barracks at the moment of the blast.
The barracks and a nearly abandoned building are practically collapsed. The force of the explosion has also made a large hole and damaged buildings 500 meters away. According to authorities, the bomb van may have contained more than 300 kg of explosives.
"We want to make it clear to the ETA terrorist group that all of the democratic parties are closing ranks to finish off the ETA terrorist group. I express my condolences to the families of the victims," saidof the , the majority leader in the , while speaking on .
This would be the first fatal action carried out by ETA since Spain's general election two months ago, whenwas killed on the final day of official campaigning.
- "Spanish councillor shot and killed in the Basque Country" — Wikinews, March 7, 2008
- "Spain: Car bomb kills one, injures four" — , May 14, 2008
- "Car bomb kills policeman in Spain" — , May 14, 2008
- "Un garde civil tué dans un attentat à Legutiano, au Pays basque" — , May 14, 2008 ()
- "Un guardia civil muerto y cuatro heridos en un atentado de ETA contra una casa cuartel de Álava" — , May 14, 2008 ()
- "Guardia zibil bat hil du ETAk Legutioko kuartelean bonba-auto bat lehertarazita" — , May 14, 2008 ()