Apple introduces new iPod with video playback capabilities
Thursday, October 13, 2005
On Wednesday, Apple introduced an capable of displaying video, as well as a new video section to the music store. Apple CEO Steve Jobs believes that this may have a large impact on the film industry, in a similar fashion to that of the impact on the music industry when the iPod first was released.
The new iPod comes in a 30GB edition and a 60GB edition for US$299 and US$399, respectively. On the 30GB iPod, 75 hours of video at a resolution of 320x240 can be stored, and on the 60GB iPod, 150 hours can be stored. Despite these features, people claim that the screen may be too small for people to enjoy. However, iPod owners will be able to purchase an optional S-Video cable for playing video from their iPod on a television.
To help complement the new video section, Apple andhave agreed to a deal in which episodes of television programs such as and will be available the day after airing for $1.99 per episode. Other plans for the video section involve the animation company , which was founded by current Apple CEO Steve Jobs. There are also plans to distribute content from , Pixar's distributor and owner of ABC. In addition, music videos will also be available at the on-line music store for $1.99 each.
New iMac G5
The video iPod was announced along with a new model of its, which features a remote control that allows the iMac to act as a home media center as well as a normal personal computer. To control media center capabilities, the new iMac is sold with a program called Front Row. Some customers have complained however that this iMac is missing functionality out-of-the-box that allows a user to watch TV on it.
The new iMac also has an Appledigital camera built-in as well as a thinner design than its predecessor.
- May Wong, Associated Press. "Apple Introduces Video IPod, TV Deals" — , October 12, 2005
- Bobbie Johnson, Owen Gibson. "The new Apple iPod: now it does video too" — , October 13, 2005
- Duncan Martell. "Apple unveils video iPod, ABC TV deal" — , October 12, 2005
- Peter Rojas. "The iPod (with video)" — , October 12, 2005
- Alan Fein. "Apple Stock Tanks on Lower Revenue Figures" — , October 12, 2005
- Brad Cook. "Analysts Weigh in on iPod Miss" — , October 12, 2005
- "Apple Special Announcement" — , October 12, 2005
|This page has been archived by an administrator, and sighted by a trusted user. It is no longer publicly editable.|