Angela Eagle drops out of UK labour leadership contest
Wednesday, July 20, 2016
Yesterday, formerBusiness Secretary announced her withdrawal from the leadership contest after losing to ex-Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions in an informal contest for support of (Members of Parliament) in opposition to current leader in the contest. She says she will support Smith with all her "enthusiasm and might".
Ms. Eagle and Mr. Smith agreed whichever got the least nominations from MPs and(Members of the European Parliament) would drop out of the leadership race.
This comes after MPs' criticism of Corbyn's performance in the recent "" referendum — which passed despite Labour opposition — displayed in a recent vote of no-confidence in Corbyn's leadership capability, which received a no-confidence majority of over eighty percent.
Owen Smith supports policies such as reintroducing the 50 percent top tax rate, a200 billion investment plan, and a referendum on any deal on leaving the . He has also criticised Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity message as lacking substance. He said "it is not enough to just be anti-austerity, we need a concrete plan for prosperity".
- William James and Kyle Maclellan. "Labour Party rebels back single candidate to oust leader Corbyn" — , July 20, 2016
- Anushka Asthana and Jessica Elgot. "Owen Smith to face Corbyn in Labour leadership challenge" — , July 19, 2016
- "Angela Eagle drops out of Labour leader race" — , July 19, 2016
- Andrew Grice. "Labour leadership election: Angela Eagle pulls out of contest to allow Owen Smith straight run at Jeremy Corbyn" — , July 19, 2016
- "Labour MPs pass no-confidence motion in Jeremy Corbyn" — , June 28, 2016
- Jack Sommers. "Jeremy Corbyn ‘Not Passionate’ Enough To Fight Labour’s EU Referendum Campaign, John Prescott Says" — , June 5, 2016