Adele and David Bowie each win five Grammys
Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Adele won Song of the Year, Best Pop Solo and Record of the Year for her song, and Album of the Year for her album , becoming the first singer to win the Song of the Year, Record of the Year, and Album of the Year twice.
David Bowie was nominated in five categories — three for his albumin Best Alternative Music Album, Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical, and Best Rock Performance; and two for his song , Best Rock Song and Best Rock Performance. Days after releasing his 25th album, Blackstar, Bowie passed away in January 2016, due to cancer. Before Blackstar, Bowie won a Grammy for his music video , and Lifetime Achievement Award in 2006, never winning the award in a major category before.
In the event, singer Minneapolis-based funk band , who had performed with Prince, paid tribute to the singer who passed away in April at the age of 57. Adele, in her performance, paid tribute to George Michael. While performing, Adele stopped, swore, and restarted. She later apologised, saying "I am sorry for swearing and I am sorry for starting again, I can't mess this up for him[...] I am sorry, I can't." British pop singer George Michael died on Christmas Day of heart failure at the age of 53.paid tribute to music icon , replicating style, costumes, and guitar of Prince's.
Adele was in tears while receiving Grammy for the Album of the Year. In her acceptance speech, she said, "But I can't possibly accept this award. And I'm very humbled and I'm very grateful and gracious. But my artist of my life is Justin Bieber's , 's , and by .. And this album to me, the ' ' album, is just so monumental. Beyoncé, it's so monumental. And so well thought out, and so beautiful and soul-baring and we all got to see another side to you that you don't always let us see. And we appreciate that. And all us artists here, we fucking adore you. You are our light. And the way that you make me and my friends feel, the way you make my black friends feel, is empowering. And you make them stand up for themselves. And I love you." Other albums in the pool, besides 25 and Lemonade, were
Earlier, while receiving award for the Record of the Year, Adele said, "My dream and my idol is Queen Bee [Beyoncé], and I adore you and you move my soul every single day and you have done for nearly seventeen years". Other songs nominated in the category were Beyoncé's, by , by , and by .
received the largest number of nominations for the event — nine — but she won only two. Her album Lemonade won Best Urban Contemporary Album and her song Formation won Best Music Video.
won Best New Artist, and claimed Best Rap Performance for and Best Rap Album for . Chance's songs were never sold, and were available for free on streaming services.
The new host
- "59th Annual GRAMMY Awards Winners & Nominees" — , February 15, 2017 (date of access)
- Greg Kot. "Grammy Awards: Adele's '25' wins top honors, Chance the Rapper makes history" — , February 13, 2017
- Winston Cook-Wilson. "Grammys 2017: David Bowie Won His First Real Grammys" — , February 13, 2017
- Amanda Holpuch. "'I can't mess this up for him': Adele stops George Michael Grammys tribute" — , February 13, 2017
- GRAMMYs. "Twenty One Pilots Wins Best Pop Duo / Group Performance" — , February 13, 2017
- GRAMMYs. "Adele Wins Album Of The Year" — , February 13, 2017
- GRAMMYs. "Adele Wins Record Of The Year" — , February 13, 2017
- Ben Sisario. "Adele Dominates the Grammys; Beyoncé Stops the Show" — , February 12, 2017