'Rock and roll never dies': Italy wins Eurovision after 30 years
Tuesday, May 25, 2021
On Saturday, Italy won its third victory at the Eurovision Song Competition, held this year at the arena in , Netherlands. The Italian rock band 's song Zitti E Buoni won 524 points from public and professional judges. French singer 's song received 499 points, and Swiss singer got 432 points; finishing second and third respectively.
Out of 39 countries participating this time, 26 countries including hosts Netherlands and the Big Five — France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom — competed in the finals. The competition began on May 18. Three of the Big Five, and the hosts finished at the very bottom of the vote ranking. Netherlands got 11, Spain got six, Germany bagged three and the UK received zero points. All four received zero points from the audience.
Dutch singer Tel Aviv winning 498 points for his song . That victory meant Netherlands was to host the competition 2020, which was cancelled because of "escalating spread of COVID-19 throughout Europe". This year, 3500 people were in audience, multiple reports stated. They all were tested negative to be eligible for attending the event, Eurovision stated.won the 2019 edition of Eurovision in
Iceland's could not perform live in both semi-finals and the final, having tested positive of the virus. A pre-recorded performance of Daði og Gagnamagnið was played, which finished fourth, receiving 378 points, 12 more than Ukrainian singer 's song .
Switzerland finished at top, during the jury voting, receiving 267 points. France finished second during the national jury voting with 248 points. During the jury voting, when France and Switzerland were very close to each other, Pravi said, "I think it is crazy that two French songs are on the top, thank you!"
National juries of both Switzerland and the UK awarded 12 points to France. Pravi uttered "Merci!" ((fr))French language: Thank you!, clapped and blew a kiss towards the Swiss team, upon receiving 12 points from the Swiss jury.
Italy received 318 points from the audience, putting them on top. That sufficed them to win the competition. Upon winning, Måneskin's lead vocalist Damiano David said, "We just want to say to the whole Europe, to the whole world, rock and roll never dies."
As the winner of this year's competition, Italy is to host next year's Eurovision Song Competition. Italy had previously won Eurovision in 1990. Måneskin is the first band to win the competition since 2006, the BBC noted.
- "Eurovision Song Contest: Italy wins and UK gets 0 points" — , May 22, 2021
- Eurovision. "Eurovision Song Contest 2021 - Grand Final - Live Stream" — , May 22, 2021
- "Congratulations ITALY: Måneskin win Eurovision Song Contest 2021" — , May 22, 2021
- "Italy wins 65th Eurovision Song Contest as Europe unites on one stage" — , May 22, 2021
- Annabel Nugent. "Eurovision: Italy crowned winners after a shocking, emotional live ceremony in Rotterdam" — , May 22, 2021
- "Interview: 2019 Champion Duncan Laurence 🇳🇱" — , May 22, 2021
- "Grand Final Running Order" — , May 21, 2021
- "Eurovision: Iceland through to final despite Covid-enforced absence" — , May 21, 2021
- "Official EBU statement & FAQ on Eurovision 2020 cancellation" — , April 20, 2020