Wikinews Shorts: June 10, 2007
A compilation of brief news reports for Sunday, June 10, 2007.
Bush speaks for Kosovo independence
U.S. President George W. Bush said today the United Nations needs to act on independence for the breakaway Serbian province of Kosovo. "We need to get moving... and the end result is independence," Bush said at a news conference in Albania.
- Reuters. "Bush: U.N. must act now on Kosovo" — CNN, June 10, 2007
- Agence France-Presse. "Bush pushes Kosovo independence" — The Independent (South Africa), June 10, 2007
Sultan of Brunei's daughter wedded in lavish, two-week ceremony
The newlywed daughter of Brunei Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah was presented to the public in a lavish ceremony today in Bandar Seri Bagawan, the culmination of two weeks of celebration, steeped in Malay Muslim tradition.
Princess Majeedah Nuurul Bulqiah, 31, the 11th daughter of one of the world's richest men, and Khairul Khalil, 32, an official in the prime minister's office of the tiny, oil-rich country on Borneo, exchanged their vows on Thursday. The celebration continues tomorrow, with a banquet hosted by the sultan.
- Vincent Than, Associated Press. "Brunei Princess weds in lavish ceremony" — The Guardian, June 10, 2007
- Bazuki Muhammad. "Brunei sultan's daughter weds in lavish ceremony" — Reuters, June 10, 2007
- "Brunei marks lavish royal wedding" — BBC, June 10, 2007
- Nashir Mansor. "Glittering bersanding ceremony for Brunei royal couple" — Bernama, June 10, 2007
- Dewi Mohd Sofri. "Majlis Istiadat Berinai Diraja ceremonies ... ... for the happy royal newlywed couple" — Brunei Times, June 10, 2007
- Azlan Othman & Azrol Azmi. "Sultan at solemnisation ceremony of royal couple" — Borneo Bulletin, June 8, 2007
At least 61 dead from Cyclone Gonu in Middle East
At least 61 people died in Iran and Oman in last week's Cyclone Gonu, the strongest tropical cyclone to hit the Arabian Sea.
Iranian state media reported a total of 12 deaths today. In Oman, 49 deaths have been reported, with 27 people missing.
- "Rare Middle East cyclone batters Oman" — Wikinews, June 7, 2007
- Associated Press. "Cyclone Gonu causes water shortages in Oman" — Fox News, June 10, 2007
- Associated Press. "Scores die in Iran cyclone" — Herald Sun, June 10, 2007
Deadly floods sweep southern China
Four days of heavy rains in southern China caused flooding and landslides that have left at least 66 people dead today.
"Floods caused by heavy rains have affected about 294,800 hectares of crops, completely destroying 53,000 hectares of them," a Ministry of Civil Affairs official was quoted as saying by Xinhua. The storms have destroyed 48,000 homes and forced about 591,000 people to evacuate from their homes in Hunan, Guandong, Guangxi, Guizhou, Jianxi and Fujian provinces.
- "Heavy rains in southern China kill 66" — Xinhua, June 10, 2007
- "Chinese floods leave dozens dead" — BBC, June 10, 2007
- Agence France-Presse. "Floods leave 66 dead" — The Australian, June 10, 2007