|This is an archive of past discussions from Wikinews:Water cooler/policy/archives/2014. Do not edit the contents of this page. If you wish to start a new discussion or revive an old one, please do so on the
I propose mostly the same dates, rules, procedures as last year. This is coming just a bit late, so I've adjusted the date of agreeing on election procedures; but I haven't changed and of the other dates. (See WN:Water cooler/policy/archives/2013/July#ArbCom elections.)
- The community must agree on all election procedures by July 6, and election committee members by July 10.
- The deadline for nominations is 2000 UTC July 17.
- Voting will take place from 2000 UTC July 18 to 2000 UTC July 30. Questions and comments may be made during that time period.
- Since the incumbent members' seats expire on August 3, the election committee will declare the winners on about July 31, and the new term begins after declaration. Should any case be before the ArbCom at election time, the current committee continues to sit after turnover on cases that started under the current committee. Any new case after turnover is for the new committee.
As worked well for the past three years, I strongly recommend the committee not create a page for "questions for all candidates"; questions for each candidate should be located under that candidate. This is the way things have been done in all but two previous elections; once there was no place for questions at all (the undesirability of this is obvious, I hope), and once, four years ago, we had a page for questions for all candidates, and it turned into a political circus and an ordeal for the nominees (en.wn ArbCom is a judicial body, so should be scrupulously apolitical). I'm not the only one who experienced the circus four years ago and came away from it with a powerful conviction it should not be allowed to happen again.
- I've created Wikinews:Arbitration Committee/2014 election. --Pi zero (talk) 12:43, 1 July 2014 (UTC)
- Comment I agree with keeping it as always. Since I dont want to run, I'll serve on the election committee. --Bddpaux (talk) 02:07, 2 July 2014 (UTC)