|This is an archive of past discussions from User talk:ShakataGaNai/Archives/2010. Do not edit the contents of this page. If you wish to start a new discussion or revive an old one, please do so on the|
- Hit the drop down next to View History (if you are using vector) and hit "Rename" --ShakataGaNai ^_^ 05:30, 23 February 2010 (UTC)
- Regarding the preceding message, http://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?title=Wikinews%3AWater_cooler%2Fproposals&action=historysubmit&diff=965667&oldid=965600.
- Wikinews:Requests for arbitration: http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Requests_for_arbitration --Soy Rebelde (talk) 06:45, 27 February 2010 (UTC)
Jon, yes, it is a train wreck from my point of view as well. I have actually been on here for one day and if you read that proposal, I was enthused about WikiNews. Now, I can easily name three adversaries because of one wrong person. You requested my reply, here it is:
- "This is one MINOR incident." If the terms used were anything but c*** I would agree that although offensive, not something worthy of my pursute. However, that is not the case, and being on the receiving end of it, along with being of the particular sex that I am, I don't agree with your assessment at all.
- The fact that you did not address this on the initial water cooler page even after it continued to receive ridiculous statements in line with the tone set by User:Blood Red Sandman, links to statements that were posted on your page, did not exactly instill in me the trust in your ability or willingness to be partial or extend a certain sensibility here; sensibility that I by no means think is asking for too much.
- As for my sex being "advertised" is another cop-out as I see it. A person's complete lack of common sense and decency that keeps them from knowing that certain words are off the table until you know with absolute certainty you can use them around someone, is not and should not be my problem.
- On a personal note Jon, what if on top of being female I told you I was underage? Are you married? Do you have daughters, sisters? It may sound cliche but it's a valuable argument.
- I don't entertain the idea of turning my head at something like this, and explaining why repeatedly is tedious for me. I am a fair and reasonable person, even though it obviously does not seem so from where you are standing, but Jon, you don't exactly seem it to me either. I don't like to pass judgment because I see you are trying but, I think your goal is to just sweep this under the rug and belittle it.
- You yourself admitted that user is a tad on the outskirts of society atm. Remove his admin status, at the very least for a few months and block him and the other user for a week. That's what I think is fair.
- The word cunt was is offensive, as is nigger, spic and fucktard - to name a few. Simply saying the word out loud, which is essentially the case here, does not make it a personal attack. They did not say "Hey Soy, you're a cunt", that is an attack at you.
- I addressed all the users involved. What did you want me to do on the water cooler page? I'm seriously at a loss here. I could have said "Hey kids, play nice now", but I did so in a more personal setting. As for Tempo's comments, I would have rather they didn't post anything, but unfortunately between the two postings of mine on your talk page, I was at dinner, so I couldn't clamp down any more. By the time I was back, you were already on to ArbCom
- No. Simply no. You can't claim it is a personal attack on you if they don't know. It is much like if I said "Man, black is the worst" and you say I'm racist because you're African American, when really I was just talking about my dislike of the color black.
- So now we've gone from knowing nothing about to you to knowing that you are Female and under 18, which explains your behavior I'm afraid to say. You being underage is not an excuse. If you are so young that swearing is a serious issue, I'm sorry to say but your parents should be keeping a better eye on your internet habits. Truth be told, the internet is a dirty place where you find a lot of use of the first amendment (Freedom of speech for our unlearned and non-American friends). You are going to run into images and text that you don't approve of. Either go elsewhere or suck it up.
- You don't have to "turn your head", you stood up and said you have issue with the language - I can understand that, hell I can even respect that. But you have been here for 2 days - you aren't a cop, you aren't even a trust user... in fact we don't even know you. I've been around for a while, I know most of the major players. I know how to deal with them and I know what to do.
- I never said they were on the "outskirts of society", I just said they were having issue IRL. Death/tragedy in the family, that kinda things. Because he's grieving over the loss of a loved one, I should take away his admin status that he WORKED HARD for? Then block him too? While he's down there, why don't I just kick him in the balls a few times? My father died when I was 16, I understand loss and grief. I'm willing to cut a guy a LITTLE slack, which I've sufficiently done.
I think you're missing some key factors here. First, you are disrupting our wiki with a relatively small issue (IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS). I agree it was wrong, BRS and M8 have been sufficiently warned as is my policy. They know if they step out of line they will find themselves in a load of trouble, and blocked. I have no qualms blocking a user for any sort of repeat behavior, but a first time, one off offense is not that. Hell, even on Wikipedia, you can't block a spammer without 4 previous warnings. Also, I'd like to, in the nicest way possible, point out that I don't care what you feel is fair. What is "fair" for you and your Wikipedia background could be considered a vicious vendetta on Wikinews. We. Are. Not. Wikipedia. I know what the standard block lengths are, standard punishments are... I've down this rodeo for more than 2 days. Hell, BRS could get on tomorrow, see the message, and immediately apologize. He may realize the error of his ways, and feel terrible for saying such an offensive thing as "beside the fucking lead of the article!" (because remember, that is where this all started). In the end, you need to cool off and reread steps 1 through 4 on Wikinews:Dispute resolution. You've got 2 down, try 1, and 4 for now. --ShakataGaNai ^_^ 08:24, 27 February 2010 (UTC)
I have received five different comments from other users regarding antagonism that began from the user's end. He might be the friendly and lovable WN troll, but to me, someone from the outside who up until coming into contact with him was making valuable contributions and having healthy dialogue, it seems the dynamics here are unhealthy and questionable; and it is crystal clear to me. Your logic that this is WN and not WP therefore it's all good, fails. Both are under the Wikipedia Foundation umbrella. I also see what your intentions are and I am smart enough to know Jon that I'm following protocol. --Soy Rebelde (talk) 10:06, 27 February 2010 (UTC)