US House Speaker Kevin McCarthy meets Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen in California
Friday, April 7, 2023
During a press conference, McCarthy said: "The friendship between the people of Taiwan and America is a matter of profound importance to the free world and it is critical to maintain economic freedom, peace, and regional stability."
Representative tweeted an email she said Li Xiang, a Counsellor at the , sent her Tuesday, expressing "China's deep concern and firm opposition to this possible move.", a Republican who also attended the meeting,
Speaker Emerita Nancy Pelosi released a statement commending the meeting "for its leadership, its bipartisan participation and its distinguished and historic venue."
In a Wednesday press conference,spokesperson said the meeting was "not official" and "she's not meeting with any [...] [executive] officials."
China asserts Taiwan is Chinese territory. According to Politico, China has recently vowed to reestablish control over the island by force if necessary.
The 1979 Jimmy Carter.formed the (AIT), a nongovernmental entity, with the stated intent of enabling the continuation of unofficial relations between Taiwan and the US after the latter recognized the People's Republic of China "as the sole legal government of China," in the words of then-US president
- "Taiwan Relations Act Statement on Signing H.R. 2479 Into Law." — , April 6, 2023 (date of access)
- Michael Martina, David Brunnstrom. "U.S. Speaker meets Taiwan leader and stresses need to speed up arms deliveries" — , April 5, 2023
- Anthony Adragna. "McCarthy, Taiwan's leader meet in California despite threats from China" — , April 5, 2023
- Press Release: "Pelosi Statement on President Tsai and Speaker McCarthy Meeting" — , April 5, 2023
- Ashley Hinson. "Yesterday, my office received an e-mail from the Chinese embassy urging my colleagues & me not to meet with President Tsai today." — , April 5, 2023