UK Conservative Party loses two seats in by-elections, retains former PM Johnson's
Sunday, July 30, 2023
The Conservative Party held all three seats in the last three elections,, , and .
The Liberal Democrats' won Somerton and Frome with about 55% of the vote. Speaking after the results came in, she claimed the Conservatives had "let down and taken [voters] for granted for far too long".
David Warburton resigned from the seat in June, after the Conservative parliamentary group suspended him in April last year amid an inquiry into admitted cocaine use and alleged .
Labour won Selby and Ainsty with 46% of the vote share, and was to become the youngest member of the House of Commons at 25 years old. Mather stated the party had "rewritten the rules on where Labour can win".
The former MP for the seat, Nigel Adams, stepped down last month in favor, he stated, of private sector work. This followed him not receiving afrom Johnson.
Winning with 45% of the vote share and a majority of 495 votes, Uxbridge and South Ruislip Conservative London Sadiq Khan's proposed expansion ensured the Conservatives, against it, remained in power in Uxbridge.stated after the election Mayor of
Johnson resigned from Parliament with immediate effect ahead of a committee's publishing of thereport into the accuracy of his testimony to Parliament about alleged parties in breach of lockdown restrictions. He claimed the report was "riddled with inaccuracies and reeks of prejudice but under their absurd and unjust process I have no formal ability to challenge anything they say".
Before the results came in, the MP for, , declined to comment to Wikinews on the by-elections.
Since December 2021, the Conservative Party has trailed behind the Labour Party in Liz Truss became prime minister. As of July 24, Labour was polling at 46% while the Conservatives were at 26%.'s Poll of Polls. In October, Labour reached a peak of 52% after
- "Liz Truss becomes Prime Minister of the United Kingdom" — Wikinews, September 6, 2022
- "Ethics chief: UK PM's reforms after Partygate "highly unsatisfactory", won't "restore public trust"" — Wikinews, June 3, 2022
- Becky Morton. "Big defeats for Tories but party holds on to Uxbridge" — , July 21, 2023
- Andrew McDonald, Dan Bloom. "Tories take kicking in 2 UK by-elections — but hold on in Boris Johnson's old seat" — , July 21, 2023
- "New MPs elected at July by-elections" — , July 21, 2023
- Nadeem Badshah. "David Warburton: Conservative MP suspended over drugs allegations to resign seat" — , June 17, 2023
- PA Media, Tim Dale. "Nigel Adams: Conservative MP says he backs party despite quitting" — , June 12, 2023
- Tara John, Luke McGee, Radina Gigova. "Boris Johnson resigns as MP, accusing Commons investigation of attempting to 'drive me out'" — , June 9, 2023