U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders to announce presidential ambitions by March
Saturday, December 27, 2014
U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, an who with Democrats, revealed through the Associated Press (AP) yesterday that he plans to announce by March whether to run for in the 2016 election. Sanders, a self-identified who champions against , says he will make a "gut decision" about whether to run. Though often touted as a potential presidential candidate, Sanders has never made a run for the presidency.
Sanders, 73, entered politics in the 1970s, running for various races in Vermont as a member of the anti-war United States House of Representatives, representing Vermont. After serving in that capacity for 16 years, Sanders won election to the United States Senate, where he has remained.. He was elected Mayor of , Vermont in 1981 as an independent and won re-election three successive times. In 1990, he was elected to the
Sanders cites the United States wealth gap as "collapsing" the nation's middle class, but says a cure exists in his twelve step solution, which includes infrastructure projects, fair trade, and alternative energy. Nevertheless, Sanders told the AP his decision on 2016 rests on whether he believes he can win the election.
Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who ran unsuccessfully for president in 2008, figures to be the frontrunner for the 2016 Democratic nomination. Experts are divided on how a Sanders candidacy would affect her prospects.
Democratic National Committee member New Hampshire argues Sanders can deliver with passion, something he says that Clinton lacks.says Sanders may be "a step too far for the mainstream" of the party. But former
Other potential candidates for the Democratic nomination include Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Maryland governor , New York governor Andrew Cuomo, and Vice President Joe Biden. Former Senator Jim Webb of Virginia has opened an to determine whether he will run in 2016.
If Sanders decides to run for president, question remains on whether he runs as a Democrat or an independent.
- "Ralph Nader: Obama will likely face challenge in Democratic primaries" — Wikinews, August 6, 2011
- "One in five Americans finds socialism superior, poll says" — Wikinews, April 11, 2009
- "Clinton to suspend campaign" — Wikinews, June 5, 2008
- "About - Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont" — , December 27, 2014 (accessed)
- Dave Gram. "Sanders: I'll Decide on Presidential Run By March" — , December 26, 2014
- Maggie Haberman. "Jim Webb launches 2016 committee" — , November 20, 2014
- Nicole Gaudiano. "Sanders would tempt fate, and history, as Democrat" — , September 8, 2014
- Terence Cullen. "List of potential Democratic presidential candidates for 2016 expands: report" — , July 21, 2014
- Wilson Ring (Vermont’s Liberty Union Party winning, just not at polls" — , June 15, 2014). "