Twitter threatens to sue Meta over rival app Threads
Tuesday, July 11, 2023
The letter accused Meta of "systemic, wilful, and unlawful misappropriation of Twitter’s trade secrets and other", including by hiring "dozens" of employees who "had and continue to have access to Twitter's trade secrets and other highly confidential information". It demanded that "Meta take immediate steps to stop using any Twitter trade secrets or other highly confidential information".
The Threads app interface is similar to Twitter's, allowing users to write 500-character posts, as well as replying to, reposting, and quoting other users' posts. In a post on the platform, Zuckerberg expressed his optimism about the future of Threads: "It'll take some time, but I think there should be a public conversations app with 1 billion+ people on it. Twitter has had the opportunity to do this but hasn't nailed it. Hopefully we will."
Within two days of Threads' release in over 100 countries, over 70 million users had signed up, according to head of European Union, reportedly due to Meta's uncertainty about restrictions imposed by the the bloc passed last year.. However, it has yet to be released in the
- Adam Mosseri. "Adam Mosseri on Threads" — , July 7, 2023
- Bernd Debusmann Jr. "Threads: Twitter threatens legal action over Meta's new app" — , July 7, 2023
- PA Media. "Twitter threatens legal action over Meta’s rival app Threads" — , July 7, 2023
- Giulia Carbonaro. "Why has Threads, Meta’s answer to Twitter, not launched in the EU?" — , July 6, 2023
- Clare Duffy. "What is Threads? Here’s what you need to know about the potential ‘Twitter Killer’" — , July 6, 2023
- Rob Wile. "A timeline of Elon Musk's takeover of Twitter" — , November 17, 2022