Theresa May to become UK Prime Minister as opposition begins leadership election
Monday, July 11, 2016
Today the, the current governing party of the (UK), announced would become the new party leader following the decision by her leadership rival to withdraw from the contest. This announcement was made on the same day it was confirmed a leadership contest has been formally triggered within the , the official , after gathered the needed support to challenge as leader of the party.
Theresa May to become leader of the Conservative Party
Following the withdrawal of Mrs Leadsom from the Conservative Party leadership election, Party official George Brady said he was expecting to appoint Mrs May as the new party leader. Mrs May, the current, would succeed in this role, and it is expected she will also succeed him as .
Mrs Leadsom described a leadership election as "highly undesirable" for the country as she announced her decision to withdraw. She also said she felt she had insufficient support to win a leadership election.
Mr Cameron originally announced his intention to resign following the, and has now said he intends to offer his resignation following on Wednesday.
Labour Party to hold leadership election
The Labour Party confirmed a leadership election had been officially triggered. Mrs Eagle has announced her candidacy, and it is understood she has the level of support from Labourto add her name to the ballot.
Mrs Eagle was one of many members of Mr Corbyn'sto resign following the EU Referendum. She today said Mr Corbyn "is unable to provide the leadership" needed as she launched her leadership bid.
It is unclear if Mr Corbyn's name will be automatically be added to the ballot as the current incumbent. A decision by the party's executive committee is reportedly to be made tomorrow to decide on the matter.
- "UK Labour MPs pass motion of no-confidence in leader Corbyn" — Wikinews, June 28, 2016
- "Britain votes to leave the European Union" — Wikinews, June 25, 2016
- Adam Payne. "Theresa May will become Prime Minister on Wednesday Evening" — , July 11, 2016
- "PM-in-waiting Theresa May promises 'a better Britain'" — , July 11, 2016
- Jon Stone. "Labour party leadership election to oust Corbyn officially triggered" — , July 11, 2016
- Peter Walker. "Angela Eagle says 'I’m here to win' at launch of Labour leadership bid" — , July 11, 2016