Spanish cyclist Isaac Gálvez dies after crash in Ghent, Belgium
Monday, November 27, 2006
World Madison champion died in the early hours of Sunday morning after crashing on the fifth day of the track cycling race.
He collided with Belgium's Dimitri DeFauw during the second Madison of the evening and hit a metal barrier. He was immediately knocked unconscious, and despite being resuscitated, he was pronounced dead at the Gent University Clinic hospital.
The race was immediately suspended, and the final day's racing was cancelled.
At the time of the accident, Gálvez and team-matewere lying second in the overall standings, one lap behind the Belgium/ pair and .
- Laura Weislo. "Spanish sprinter, Isaac Gálvez crashes hard at Gent Six Day, dies on way to hospital" — , November 26, 2006
- "Galvez dies at Gent Six" — , November 26, 2006
- Jeroen Michiels. "Soenen clears Gent six-day organization" — , November 27, 2006
- Hedwig Kröner. "Gent Six Day ends in "nightmare"" — , November 27, 2006
- Canadian Press. "Spanish world track cycling champion dies after crash in Belgium" — , November 26, 2006