Singer-songwriter Robert Hunter dies, aged 78
Wednesday, September 25, 2019
On Monday, US singer and lyricist died at his home in , California. His family's announcement of his death specified no cause, but, according to his agent, Hunter had undergone surgery recently. The former lyricist of rock band Grateful Dead was 78.
Hunter composed lyrics for several songs by US Bob Dylan, and .band the Grateful Dead, including many of their biggest hits. He also collaborated with Dead associates and and artists such as ,
Born Robert Burns in CIA mind control program to test on US citizens., California on June 23, 1941, he took his stepfather's name sometime in his youth and met future Grateful Dead guitarist when both were in their late teens. The duo formed a brief musical partnership that was interrupted by Garcia joining a band and Hunter having personal complications from participation in , a
After Hunter retreated to New Mexico and continued to write songs he would mail to Garcia in the , Garcia invited him to collaborate in Garcia's new group, the Grateful Dead. Hunter joined the group as a songwriter, providing lyrics to songs such as " ", " ", and " " throughout the late 1960s and into the 1970s.
He continued as a solo performer, releasing several albums and occasionally touring into the 2010s. He also wrote for other artists, including co-writing several songs onmusician Bob Dylan's 2009 release .
Hunter is survived by wife Maureen.
- "Poet, lyricist, and digital activist John Perry Barlow dies, aged 70" — Wikinews, February 9, 2018
- David Browne, Jon Blistein. "Robert Hunter, Grateful Dead Collaborator and Lyricist, Dead at 78" — , September 24, 2019
- Neil Genzlinger. "Robert Hunter, Grateful Dead Lyricist, Dies at 78" — , September 24, 2019
- David Browne. "Robert Hunter on Grateful Dead’s Early Days, Wild Tours, ‘Sacred’ Songs" — , March 9, 2015
- David Lemieux. "Remembering Robert Hunter" — , September 24, 2019