Seven die from H1N1 swine flu virus; total virus victims in Wales rises to 21
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Seven people in Wales have died as a result of the H1N1 swine flu virus. This increases the total number of people who have died from the virus in that country to 21. Dr. Tony Jewell, chief medical officer for Wales, had said that this was expected to happen.
He said: "The four UK Health Ministers have agreed that the second phase of the swine flu vaccination programme should focus on all children aged six months and over and under five years. Evidence shows that young children are suffering the greatest overall impact from the disease. They are particularly vulnerable to complications and more likely to become seriously ill and need hospital treatment than other groups. Sadly, this week, we have seen a further increase in swine flu-related deaths. However, we are aware that a number of these people had been seriously ill for some time. This is a tragedy for the families and friends of the individuals but unfortunately, we have been expecting to see an increase in the number of deaths. This is the same for seasonal flu in the winter."
The Welsh Assembly Government have said that they knew of somebody who was in Wales from another country dying from an illness related to swine flu. Dr. Jewell also said: "Whilst reported cases of swine flu have recently started declining, it is too early to draw any conclusions about the number of future cases."