Scotland denies bail to terminally ill man convicted of Lockerbie bombing
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Scotland has refused bail to the Libyan man convicted of the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 despite his terminal cancer, as he can receive treatment in prison. was jailed in 2001 for the 1988 bombing of the transatlantic airliner, killing 270 people, but is seeking to have his conviction overturned.
Minutes after Edinburgh's Appeals Court rejected bail on compassionate grounds Jim Swire, spokesman for the victim's families who lost his daughter in the disaster, complained about the ruling. "It has never been a goal of our group to seek revenge," said a lawyer outside the court reading from his statement. "The refusal of a return to his family for a dying man whose verdict is not even yet secure looks uncomfortably like either an aspect of revenge -- or perhaps timidity."
Al-Megrahi, a former intelligence officer, is 54 and serving a minimum of 27 years for the bombing. He has advanced prostate cancer which is spreading through his body. His request for bail was rejected by, Scotland's head judge, who said that as doctors say he could live a few more years he should not be released unless and until after his appeal succeeds or his condition worsens.
HAVE YOUR SAY
Should Megrahi have been released?
Some other doctors give his time as just months, as the cancer has reached his bones. Hamilton however said thatcould prolong his life. Hamilton also said Al-Megrahi was not suffering "material pain or disability".
Theruled last year that the conviction may be a miscarriage of justice. It said there was significant doubts to be raised over several key pieces of evidence in the original trial.
- "Lockerbie bomber Abdul Baset Ali al-Megrahi is denied bail" — , November 15, 2008
- "No bail for dying Lockerbie bomber" — , November 15, 2008
- "Scottish court refuses to free Lockerbie bomber" — , November 14, 2008